▪︎part sixty▪︎

"So, she was God?"

Hearing it aloud, Y/n shook her head absently. It was absurd- she knew that better than anyone and yet, she found herself without a better explanation.

"I don't know." She confessed, moving to lean her head against Five's shoulder as they sat together. "And I don't think I have it in me to think about that right now."

Recalling all that was told to her by this mysterious girl, Y/n still didn't know what it all meant- simply that she would have to do something crucial to their success. Something she also hadn't the faintest clue of. Perhaps it was something that would come to her in time?

"In a matter of hours it won't matter anymore." Five offered, hoping to soothe her existential crisis. Unfortunately, it didn't have the effect he'd been hoping for.

"I forget sometimes how bad you are at consoling people." Y/n stood, letting out an exasperated sigh. "I mean come on, she wouldn't have told me any of it if it didn't mean something, Five."

Looking up at her, Five could hardly begin to match her nerves. For whatever reason, the end of the world just seemed a little less perilous.

Maybe it was because their time was running out- that victory seemed already so far out of their reach? Or perhaps it was just because his worst case scenario had already occured. What more could happen?

"I understand, okay? But if it was really important, why would she tell you in riddles?" He asked. It was hardly forgivable for such an all-knowing being to offer such little guidance when the world was in jeopardy. Even a cruel god would make it more entertaining than that.

"I don't know aren't gods always pretentious like that?" Y/n countered sounding unsure even in her retort.

Pacing across the room, her hand sat firmly against her forehead, as if trying to smother the growing headache within her skull. It was agonizing: the suffocating stress of it all. Who put them in charge of salvaging a world that had swallowed up their childhoods and threw it back in their faces? Was it their duty to save people no matter what they lost- no matter who they lost?

All because they'd been born gifted? 

"Just stop."

Five's plea cut through her rapid thoughts like a whisper that hadn't quite been heard, adruptly bringing her to a halt.

"What?"

He pondered a moment before standing, coming to stand before her. "I lost you. And up until five minutes ago, I thought I'd never see you again." He began, her throat growing tight as he did.

Guilt subdued her gaze, finding her unable to meet his eye. She was aware of his loss. Even more aware of the fact that he'd not taken it lightly. And yet she'd not been conscious of his shock and his blatant disregard for the end times.

"Can we just put this on hold?"

Y/n shook her head confused, "Put the apocalypse on hold?"

"Yes." Five nodded desperately.

It was unfair to ask, especially from him. After all, he'd been the one to uproot their lives and drag them on the wild goose chase that was saving the world. But he felt they were both deserving. They'd both carried the knowledge of the world's end for decades, living day to day thinking about nothing else.

Wasn't she tired?

If only he knew just how exhausted she was. She'd been shot, beaten, kidnapped, killed. Could she even begin to process the resentment and blame her siblings now harbored against her? It was too much for any one person to handle but what were they supposed to do? Sit back and do nothing?