VIII : The Solstice

"Let's go Appa. Come on boy!" I heard Aang yell as he was pulling Appa's reins. Appa roared and Aang stopped. "Look, I'm sorry but Katara, Sokka and Alara aren't coming to the Fire Nation With us. If they got hurt, I'd never forgive myself." He looked down and back at Appa. "So get your big butt off the ground and lets go!" Aang pulled again but he ended falling on his butt.

"You really thought I was going to let you do this alone?" I extended a hand for him and pulled him up.

"Please don't go Aang. The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation." Katara pleaded. "Neither can I."

"But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means." He walked towards Katara and Sokka. "I need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!" He jumped up to Appa's back.

"Hold on there Aang." I quickly stood in front of Appa with Katara and Sokka beside me. "We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation. At least not without us."

"We've got your back." Sokka added, earning him a lick from Appa. "EW!"

With that we hopped on Appa and flew to the crescent island. I haven't told Aang about my talk with Avatar Kyoshi, I knew I should but, he's handling so much now isn't the right time. I glanced at him and at the two water tribe members. "Soon, I'll tell them soon."

The sun was starting to rise meaning we're running out of time. "C'mon boy, we've go a long way to go. Faster!" Aang yelled.

"Fireball!" Katara yelled in fear.

"I'm on it!" Aang pulled the reins and dodged the ball. It smelled horrible.

"We have to get out of Zuko's range before he shoots another hot stinker at us." Katara said while covering her nose.

"Can't you make Appa a little faster?" Sokka asked.

"He could but there's a slight problem." I told him as I pointed towards the ships. "A blockade."

"If we fly north we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade. It's the only way." Aang gave us a worried look.

"There's no time!" Katara yelled.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come. It's too dangerous."

"And that's exactly why we're here." Katara assured him.

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Go I'll cover." I grabbed his glider. "Mind if I borrow this?"

He nodded, "Appa yip yip!"

Aang tried his best to avoid the fireballs. I jumped off using Aang's glider, I directed the fireballs away as best as I could. But then I heard screaming, I looked up and saw Sokka falling. "Sokka!" I reached for his hand. He grabbed it just as Appa went to our level. Sokka jumped down to Appa's back, me following behind him.

"Thanks Alara."

"I wasn't about to lose you twice now." I joked.

Sokka chuckled but then stopped. "Uh Alara your headband is on fire." Sokka pointed out.

"WHAT!" I swatted it away only for it to fall off Appa. I watched as it slowly fell. "Well there's no point in hiding I'm an airbender now."

"Well we did just flew right through a fire nation blockade." Sokka remarked as a fish smashed into his face. Momo happily caught it.

I smiled, "Wonder where my headband landed?" But my smile quickly faded as a fireball was heading directly towards us. I ran off Appa and jumped sending a kick, air blasting through it destroying the fireball. As soon as it was done, I scrambled. Luckily Sokka and Katara got me before I fell.