Chapter 16 - Normal Sheeple

Chapter 16

The new Thursday schedule, ah, it certainly did feel easier to write this. College Fool even got to see it, though it was a lot longer at the time. Then again, CF did suggest I cut it down to where it is now.

Let the hate flow through you...

Nah, it got fairly rushed towards the end in an attempt to fit events into a word count, whereas how it is now flows a little more naturally. That's the kind of thing a Wednesday deadline didn't let CF bring up before, since I wouldn't have time to make so grand a change.

Beta: College Fool

Cover Art: Kegi Springfield

Chapter 16 – Normal Sheeple

It took a minute or two to sort out the tangled heap of limbs and get everyone back on their feet. Jaune pulled Yang up last, but she didn't return his gaze for some reason. In fact, she seemed more content to cover her chest and rush over to her team, cheeks a dark crimson. He felt he should have asked about it, but his attention was more caught by the person Ruby had helped up and was currently apologising to. She was a strange girl, shorter than him with bright, orange hair that seemed almost strangely single-tone. Her eyes were a pastel green that seemed to stare a little too closely into Ruby's. They didn't cause him discomfort like his friend's did, but there was still something odd about them. She also seemed far too interested in Ruby's apology.

"-and that's why we're sorry," Ruby said.

"There's no need to be sorry," the girl said. "This is my first time in Vale and I have already made contact with the local people. This is sensational!"

"Contact," Remy snorted. "That's one way of putting it."

Jaune tried to smile at the joke, but there was still something that made his stomach flutter. It wasn't an unpleasant feeling - not painful, but rather one that felt odd... out of place. It was only noticeable because of how he'd never felt it before. "Remy, is it just me or is there something a little off about her? Can you feel it?" He sighed and tilted his head as he watched her talk with Ruby. "She just... I'm not sure how to explain it."

"Hmm, I'm surprised you noticed at all." Remy adopted a lecturing tone. "I feel it too, maybe a little more than you do, but I'm fully Grimm while you're still mostly human."

"What is it?"

"I've no idea. She feels different, somehow. Nice in a way... no, I'm not even sure it's that. I don't know. I... I think I like it."

What? Jaune almost did an about take. Remy, the Grimm parasite, actually liked a human? Other than him and his family, he meant, and they didn't count. It was enough to blow his mind. "But I thought you hated humans?" he said in his mind. "You're always bitching about them."

"I criticise," he corrected. "I don't bitch." He totally did. "Besides, she feels different. I don't get the same vibe from her – I think she might actually be a... no, I daren't say it."

"Say what?"

"She... she might actually be an example of a good human. I-If such a thing even exists." Remy spluttered to a finish and went silent, but Jaune's mind was already awhirl. Remy never liked people – he always considered them selfish, egotistical and bitter... which was pretty ironic, but he didn't bother to point that out.