Brutes and Belles and....Puka Shells....wtf?

The night was shaping up to be a roaring good time. (pardon the pun) Eodan looked adorable in his little kilt with his mop of curly hair wildly swaying whilst he flitted about the ballroom. I was so encapsulated by the little scamp I didn't hear someone approaching.

"Princess."

"What the fu...!!!"

"Nova!" Trixa whisper-yelled as she jabbed my side.

"Sorry...just, took me by surprise is all." I nervously chuckled then straightened my dress and turned to face.....puka shells....it was a puka shell necklace. I don't know why it caught my eye but it did and unfortunately for me, in my obsession with my guards choice in early 2000's fashion, his name has managed to escape me...uh oh how embarrassing.....ugh.

"I'm sorry princess Nova, I didn't mean to alarm you. It's time for your toast my lady." He half whispered.

"Oh, the toast. Shit what am I gonna say Trix?! I can't remember what I wrote!" I scanned her worried eye's and knew they reflected my own.

"If I may, my lady. Wolves from all over the world have come here in your honor and in hopes of helping you to find your soulmate. Might I suggest you lead with something along the lines of a "Thank you all for coming" kind of thing?"

Silence swept over us. Trixa and I were both stunned silent for a moment but I quickly straightened myself when I saw the soldiers face start to redden in embarrassment. He thought he'd said something wrong.

"Thank you so much...ummm....." I panicked searching my brain for his name. He's been with the family for as long as I can remember, I knew that. I just couldn't get his name!

"Aiall, My princess." He smiled warmly at me. He knew it was the nerves. I placed a hand on his shoulder in thanks.

"Oh, and if it wouldn't be too bold of me, you look beautiful..."

"...As beau'iful as the queen she will one dey beh." Came a thick, deep, Scottish rumble. My loins lit up as my skin began to tingle with the familiar electric waves. I was beginning to enjoy myself around King Darrow, if for nothing else....the view. Aiall lowered his hazel green eyes and backed away with a bow.

"I 'ave ta agree. Tha' dress is absoh'lutley amazen on ye'. If I do sey so mah self." He said with a wink. I smiled in return but the nerves kept creeping back in.

As if sensing my need for reassurance Darrow surprised me by taking my hand. He looked deeply into my eyes as his other hand came up to cup my chin and tilt my head back.

"Ye are a queen Novara. Ye conform ta no'ones expectations. Ye bow ta no'one. Ye are stronger than ye think. Draw on meh strength, till ye can find yer own. I will not let ye fall."

His words seared themselves onto my very soul. I took a deep breath, straightened my back, squared my shoulder's and allowed Darrow to escort me to the dining hall table. Once at my seat I motioned for Darrow to sit at my right hand side. I lifted my cup as everyone took their seats. All eye's are on me now.....I can do this...

"First let me take a moment to...." I glanced at Darrow who squeezed my free hand. "...thank you all for accepting our invitation and coming here tonight....."