An Enlightening Hunt...

I'm gettin closer, the scent's gettin stronger. I can feel the electricity in the air. The wood's are alive and active this afternoon. It's broad daylight but under the cover of the dense forest treetops, it's barely light enough to see. I don't care, I shifted into my wolf form a good ways back. I'm in full hunt mode, white fur shinning, runes and eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. The owner of this scent has something to do with whats going on tonight, I just know it. I push my muscles to their limit hoping against all hope I lost the others after I shifted. they don't need to get involved in this, I don't think I could forgive myself if any of them got hurt because of me.

Making a plan to catch someone and actually coming face to face in a fight with them are two very different situations. I can smell water now, it's the river. The one I meditate at when I need to get away, the one I found Eodan at...the one I watched the Nethershade and the stranger discuss my downfall at. I knew the tree's looked familiar, I bet the original path is close by. I hone in on the scent as it grows so much stronger suddenly. The ground is cold under my paw's, I slightly extend my claws to get better traction as I pick up the pace once again. Suddenly another scent hit's me, this one sends shivers down my spine, I ease up for only a second. It was just long enough for me to be tackled to the ground. I roll onto a patch of soft river moss nearby. I'm not down for long though, I spring back up, eye's a'glow and runes shinning.

I call my powers as I immediately shift back into human form. My shifts are easy and effortless, I can be human one second and wolf the next, just a little perk of being me. I'm human now and as far as I can see, alone. I keep my powers just below the surface as I open my mouth to inhale the air, tasting it for familiarities. I can feel that someone or something is close, it's just not the "someone or something" I set out to catch. Now I'm pissed.

"I've no time for this. Come out, or I'll force you out." I say sternly as I extend my arms at my sides and allow my violet shocks pool in each palm, making a show of my abilities.

No reply

"Come out! My trails gettin cold, you make me lose what I'm after and I swear, you'll take it's place on my hunting list." I exclaim, thoroughly aggravated at this point.

A sudden shuffle of leaves behind me has my ears pricking but I make no move to let on that heard anything. I scan the area again, shadows dance and play as the wind picks up and the tree tops sway. It grows so very quiet in the woods. No chirping, no singing, no babbling brook, no rushing of water from the river, no scurrying animals underfoot...nothing. The silence is deafening, finally a twig snaps and I feel the time is now. I whirl around and loose a bolt of energy.

Missed, damn.

"You can't win." Says a hushed voice. It sounds like it's emanating from all around me.

"Are you the one who want's my throne? You the one plannin on takin me down?" I demand at the shadows.

"No."

"Then who are you? Why'd you stop me?"

"I am trying to help you. You can not win this battle. Not alone, not against...him. He is much more powerful than he let's on." says the voice.

"You know who I'm hunting?"

"Yes, he is cunning and sly and much stronger than he let's others believe him to be but it is only because of the talisman he wears that he is so strong and so invincible. You must take his talisman. Then you will defeat him."

"His talisman huh? Why are you helping me?"

"Because, in helping you, I am helping myself."

"How?"

"Freedom..."

Realization dawned on me.

"You're the Nethershade. He has a hold on you doesn't he?"

"That he does princess. I never wanted to hurt you. I had too, for what I've done I am truly sorry. We Nethershades live by a certain code. I have broken the code in doing harm to one who does not deserve it." His voice is full of sadness, regret, guilt...all of the above? I can't help but feel for the creature.

"I'll help you get your freedom if you help me take down whoever is trying to kill me. Deal?"

"Oh he doesn't want to kill you, princess."

"Then what's he want?"

"To mate you. He believes himself to be the better mate for you. He's completely obsessed and in love with you."

"What?! I have a mate."

"He does not care. He will kill all who stand in his way. He will kill all who try to stop him from getting to you, by whatever means necessary. Spell's, poisons, out right murder...in his eye's, you are his."

How....Enlightning...