Chapter Three: The Dinner

Somewhere in the midst of me laying on my bed obsessing over not obsessing about the beautiful boy with a city for a name, I fell asleep. The comforter was soft, and made me feel like I was laying on a cloud. I hadn't realized how exhausted from the long trip until I laid down.

I woke up some odd hours later and there was still some time before I had to worry about getting ready for dinner, so I decided to start unpacking my things and find their 'rightful place' within the room. This room was beautiful, but it still felt unfamiliar. Kind of like staying in a nice hotel room. It's exciting, but it doesn't feel like home.

After I unpacked all my clothes and put my hygiene products in the bathroom across the hall, I stopped in place when I reached the bottom of the bag. I had brought the pictures I had hung up in my old room back in Denver. Pictures of me with my ex-boyfriend, and my 'friends.' Now, I'm not even sure why I brought them. I should have just thrown them away because looking at them now gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.  

As I've said before, I suppose when I left I had my life in Denver  idealized into something greater than it actually was. It wasn't until I was away from there that I began to be honest about how vapid and meaningless my life actually felt. Being surrounded by people who don't have your best interest at heart is mentally exhausting. 

I felt hopeful that maybe this new town could come with new friends, real friends. Maybe I can actually find my place here. But looking at these pictures with the fake and forced smiles on our faces made me feel sad, realizing I didn't actually have too many people I could count on.

I ripped up the pictures and threw them in a small trash bin by the desk in the corner. Dramatic? I don't think so. Dramatic would have been to burn them, which was honestly my first thought. They felt like my old life.

In order to truly start over meant leaving those fake and toxic relationships behind so new, healthy relationships can have room to grow. Remove the weeds to make way for the flowers. That was probably the cheesiest thing I've ever said in my life, but whatever. Sometimes the truth is cheesy.

I was just about finished unpacking when my cell phone started ringing. I walked over to one of the nightstands by the bed where I had plugged in the charger and picked up my phone. I smiled when I saw it was Chanel's number.

"Hello?"  I answered excitedly as I searched through my freshly hung up clothes in the walk-in closet trying to decide what to wear. I had no idea if this was a formal dinner or something casual.  I also made a mental note that I needed to buy some more clothes when I could afford to. My wardrobe is looking pitiful in this closet. 

Maybe I should get a job or something? I could ask Chanel  if they need anyone down at the diner. Sure it's not a glamorous job, but at least I'd kind of know someone there. Besides, something told me there wasn't going to be too many job opportunities in a small town like this one. Especially for someone my age.

 "Hey, Gia. Sorry we couldn't talk much earlier. My boss has this crazy idea that I like to slack off." Chanel  laughed sarcastically like it was the most ridiculous thing she had ever heard. "So whenever she's watching I have to be on top of my game." She sounded remorseful and frankly, annoyed.

"Hey, don't apologize for doing your job. In fact, they wouldn't happen to be hiring would they? I was thinking a part-time job might be a good idea." Especially if it was just my mother and I now. I had no idea the arrangement my parents had with each other or if he was giving her any kind of support, financially.  If I could have a job where I could pay for my own things like food and clothes, it would probably be a big help.

"Actually we just had someone quit the other night! You should come fill out an application sometime and I'll put in a good word for you. I'm pretty positive you'd get hired." She sounded excited at the possibility of me working with her, which made me feel good it wasn't just me that liked the idea.