Chapter Seven: Pros and Cons

Of course Phoenix  is my potential boss's son. Why wouldn't he be? Insert foot in mouth. God, my life is just one big joke after another. I could just die, I felt so humiliated. It certainly made sense why he comes in here so often. He probably gets free food,  being that his mom is everyone's boss.

"I'm..I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be offensive." I tried apologizing to Jayla, but I could barely bring myself to look at her. It didn't help that Phoenix  seemed to think this was hilarious.

"Don't apologize. You're right, actually. He is a colossal prick..aren't you, son?" She winked playfully as her eyes fell to Phoenix, waiting for him to respond. I was honestly taken back by this reaction. I expected her to reach across the counter and strangle me for 'tainting the Santiago name' or something.

"I have my moments." Phoenix  admitted with a smile, and not at all looking ashamed. As he placed his hand on my hand that was resting on the counter, I glared at him. Both Chanel  and Jayla's eyes traveled down to our hands, which caused me to blush. "In my defense, blue eyes here is really fun to tease."

I snatched my hand away like his touch burned me somehow. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised he's willing to flirt with me in front of his own mother, but I was.

Jayla  laughed and shook her head at Phoenix,  who was still focused on me. "Wow, you usually don't have to try so hard. I think you might be losing your game, son. Unless this girl is just a lot smarter than the others." Phoenix actually looked embarrassed, and I quickly decided that I liked Jayla.

"So..Chanel says a lot of good things about you, Gia." Jayla  said while looking over my application. "It doesn't look like you have much experience, but that's not that surprising at your age. We can train you." I smiled, feeling slightly more optimistic about my chances. Thank God this lady seems to have a sense of humor. The way Chanel  spoke of her, I expected to meet with some kind of diner Nazi.

"I'm a really hard worker, and since it's summer my schedule is pretty open." I reassured her, Phoenix  was still staring at me and a grin spread across his face at my words, which made me look at him suspiciously.

"Your schedule is open, huh? I'll keep that in mind." I rolled my eyes and Chanel and Jayla exchanged glances again. I really wished he'd just, you know..go to hell where he belonged.

"Phoenix, I was talking to your mother. For you, consider me all booked up." I said it with as much sass as I could manage, and he bit his bottom lip..seeming to like my sass a little too much. "Can't you just..go somewhere else? You're getting on my nerves."

He pretended to look frightened, and leaned back in his chair with his hands up defensively. "Please don't hit me, again!" I closed my eyes and shook my head in frustration. Just when I thought I was in the clear, he has to be bring that up in front of his mother..who was now looking at the both of us with confusion.

"Again?" Jayla raised her eyebrows at me, seeming to expect me to elaborate further. Chanel connected her hand to her palm, before finally deciding to make an escape and go wait on the few tables that she had. I had to say, I envied her right now. 

I looked at Jayla remorsefully, but wasn't quite sure what to say or how to say it. Phoenix  just snickered, and his mother's eyes shot from me to him. "What did you do?" She asked him sternly. He looked surprised at the turn in conversation.

"Me?! What could I possibly have done?" He tried to look innocent but unfortunately for him, his mother wasn't born yesterday. In fact, so far she was proving to be very observant. "I didn't do anything, I swear! Well..not much?"  He looked like he felt awkward, knowing that it wasn't necessarily true. I couldn't tell if he actually felt bad for being so pushy, or was just afraid he just got himself in trouble with his mother. The latter was the most likely.