Chapter Four: Bonfire

'Dug his teeth into me?' What the hell? What does that even mean? Is he a vampire now? Everyone around the dinner table was staring at me, waiting for me to say something. My mother who for a moment looked like she was about to agree to let me go to the bonfire, was now looking like she was rethinking it at the mention of Phoenix Santiago. Chanel  was unusually quiet, awkwardly staring at her almost empty plate. Nadine, who had just walked into the situation looked entirely confused.

"Did I say something wrong? Because it was kind of a joke." Nadine finally said, anxious to break the tense silence. 'Kind of a joke,' great. That makes this less awkward, thank you. "Although, I have to say it doesn't surprise me if that Santiago boy has taken an interest." She continued while gathering up our plates.

I couldn't stop myself from asking, even though I knew it wouldn't be helpful to the current situation. "Why doesn't it surprise you?" Chanel kicked my foot under the table and shot me a look that said to quit while I was ahead. My mother looked positively annoyed.

"Well..that boy has always had a way with the ladies, for one thing." She said as she picked up the stack of plates in her hands. Yep, definitely regret asking already. "For another thing..you're quiet the looker. Just like your mother was.". Nadine gave me another wink as she disappeared into the kitchen with the empty plates.

I flushed, while my mom thought about what she had said for a moment before calling out after her. "Excuse me, what do you mean was?" We could hear Nadine's laughter from the kitchen as she ran the dishes under the sink faucet. Chanel even had her lips pressed together like she was trying not to laugh, but I wasn't feeling humorous at the moment.

My mother turned her attention back to me, and shook her head. My heart sank, because I could already see it in her face she was about to pull the plug on the whole idea. "I don't think it's a good idea, Gia. That boy sounds like more trouble by the minute and we both know you don't have a very good track record with bad boys." I winced as she hinted about my ex-boyfriend, and Chanel  looked at me inquisitive. I knew my mother didn't mean it to be offensive, but it was still a soar subject for me. 

My mother never liked Tyler, my ex..which she made clear to me every chance she got. In fact, we used to fight about it a lot. She would forbid me to see him, I wouldn't listen and would find a way to see him anyway. She could sense he didn't have good intentions, and of course she ended up being right.  I know her well enough to know it killed her to not be able to say 'I told you so,'  but she could tell I was hurting so luckily for me she bite her tongue.

Which was probably a big reason why she already had an attitude about Phoenix Santiago, even though she did not actually know him. It was what he represented that she didn't like. "Mom, nothing is even going on between the two of of us. I don't even know him and he has a girlfriend or whatever." I did my best to mask the disappointment in my voice as I attempted to convince her it was no big deal. 

She looked at me wearily obviously still on the fence, so I continued. "What am I going to do? Avoid him in a small town like this? Not likely. You're going to have to trust me, mom. I won't make the same mistake twice." I held my head up high and said it in the firmest voice I could manage, though I actually wasn't positive of my ability to steer clear of him..not that she needed to know that. Chanel  smirked at me, looking proud. I could see it in my mother's face that she was going to cave. 

"Hmm..well, I guess so. But I want you to check in with me and let me know you're safe!" She waved her index finger at me as if saying she meant business and I heard Chanel  squeal next to me with excitement. She wasn't the only one who was excited.