Chapter Eleven: Questions & Kisses

"Gia, wait up!" I heard Phoenix's  voice call after me as he ran across the parking lot to catch up. I didn't allow myself to stop or even slow down as I tried to make it to the car.

Just as I reached the car door I was startled to feel Phoenix's over-sized man hand grab my arm and turn me around to face him. "Just hear me out, alright?" He was out of breath, his usual casual demeanor gone.

"I really don't want to hear it, Phoenix. Just go back to your girlfriend and finish your freaking breakfast." Or should I say...my  breakfast? I was more bitter about her eating my French Toast  then maybe I should be. But God, she was just so unnecessarily rude.

I suppose she had managed to hit a sensitive subject, when she said no one wanted me. She was mirroring my own thoughts, and insecurities. Mocking my need to find a place where I belonged.  I know I had said part of me felt bad for her, but that feeling changed after this morning.

I knew what it was like to want someone who doesn't want you..but I would never, ever speak to someone they way she spoke to me. She let her own insecurities and jealousy turn her into a hateful person, and that I could not condone.

"Gia..you know nothing she said is true, right?" He seemed to be able to read my thoughts as he tried to comfort me, but I was too angry with him.

"Oh okay, so you didn't play me then?" I folded my arms over my chest and stared him down, feeling very ready for a fight. "This is all your routine, right? How many girls are we talking about? Do I even want to know?"

He was shaking his head, trying to protest. But I was so angry and upset I was beginning to get to a shouting level. "What are you like the welcome wagon around here!? You break the new girls in town in like some sort of initiation, or what?!" He stopped trying to protest and stared at me quietly, seeming to decide to let me finish freaking out.

I was flailing my arms about like a mad woman. If someone was to drive by and see us, I'm sure they'd think I was mentally unstable. But I was on a roll. "You know, pretty soon you're going to run out of new girls to hook up with. You'll have to start camping out at the border. 'Hello and welcome to Meadow Hills! Quick, take your pants off!'"

"Shut up." Phoenix  finally said, interrupting me. I glared at him, slightly surprised, and offended. Did he just tell me to 'shut up?!' That's seriously all he had to say?

"What was that?" I urged him to repeat himself, but not because I didn't hear what he said. I was daring him to repeat it, fully prepared to knock him the hell out.

The next thing that happened, happened too quick for me to react, or even process it until it was happening.

He grabbed my hips and pushed us against the car, my body pressed between the cold metal of the car door and the warmth of his muscular frame. I gasped in surprise and he took the opportunity to press his lips against mine.

As soon as our lips touched I melted into him and he deepened the kiss, one hand on my hip and the other had grabbed a handful of my hair. His touch was electric and his lips felt like magic..which is probably the cheesiest thing I've ever said, but it was true. It was so true.

I knew this was a bad idea. I knew I should be pushing him away, but instead I let him devour me. He finally broke our kiss, lightly placing his hand on my throat. "I said shut up, Gia Pet." His husky voice was a whisper as he kept his eyes on my lips. I sat there with my mouth open staring at him, still in disbelief what just happened.