Actually Singing

{Gerard's POV}

"The Autumn concert is coming up," Mrs Wells told us, "I'll come round the class today and see which of you would like to perform."

Frank turned to me, his eyes widening.

I bit my lip.

A concert?

We hadn't even practised with me singing yet.

"I don't know, Frank..." I looked down.

"Hey," He waited until I looked up and said, "I don't want to push you into anything you're not comfortable with but this could be fun."

I nodded slowly.

It definitely could be fun; there was no denying that.

But...

I was scared.

"Why don't we at least try? We don't actually have to perform at the concert. Let's aim for it but we don't have to actually perform."

"Okay," I smiled a little.

It would be cool to perform though.

The concert was in a month.

That was plenty of time, right?

Mrs Wells appeared next to our table.

"Are you boys planning on performing anything?" She asked.

Frank looked from me to her and replied, "Can you put us down as a maybe?"

Mrs Wells frowned, "Both of you together?"

"Well," Frank smiled, "There's five of us."

She nodded, "Can you tell me who so I can write you guys down?"

Frank told her the other guys' names before Miss went to another table.

"Do you really think we'll be ready in time?" I asked when she had gone.

Frank shrugged, "I don't see why not. We've got a name for the song. All we need is a name for the band and to start rehearsing with you. Can you do it?"

I nodded a little, "Yeah... I-I think so. I'll try."

I meant it.

I really would try.

"That's all I can ask of you," Frank smiled, "How about you try and sing during this week's rehearsal? Ray and I have finished writing the second guitar part."

"Okay. I'll try. Maybe we could have a proper band rehearsal where we play it all the way through."

Frank nodded, "That would be awesome."

When Friday rolled around, I was already nervous.

Frank could tell.

He kept telling me it would be okay and gave me extra long hugs.

I knew it wasn't a big deal and that I had no reason to be scared.

All I was going to do was sing in front of my boyfriend, brother and our friends.

Frank was the only one of them who had heard me sing and even then I wasn't really trying.

How would Mikey react?

Was I a bad singer?

I didn't really know.

"Frank?" I asked as we waited for the others to appear after school on Friday, "Am I a bad singer?"