11. Jake

"I'm leaving you two alone," Josh announces. "Unless you two wanna share the tent. I can take my sleeping bag and stay outside."

"No, it's fine." Olivia stands up and walks to him, holding his head in her hands and touching his cheek with her lips. "Go to sleep, honey. I'll be there soon, maybe."

Josh whispers something into her ear to which she nods. Jake offers his brother a smile, grateful for him leaving them alone and especially for his offer. Josh is always willing to make some sacrifices for what he thinks is best for those he love, a very noble thing about him. Well, one noble thing about him.

"Rachel was trying to slut-shame me." Olivia's voice sounds off, she sits back next to Jake and lays her head on his shoulder.

"I noticed."

"Does it bother you?" She removes her head from him, turning to look at his face. "You know, the fact I can't even remember how many guys I've slept with?" He shakes his head before speaking.

"Why would it bother me?" She shrugs.

"It's a shame she didn't ask how many I did in the past three months. I would've proudly said your name."

"Only mine?" He raises one eyebrow, she smiles and nods. "What about Tom?"

"Wasn't it Tim?" They laugh. "I didn't fuck him, couldn't bring myself to it."

"Oh." That's the only thing that leaves his mouth before he turns to face the floor, embarrassed. "I fucked Rachel," he admits after a while.

"I know. She's very beautiful."

"I didn't really want to see her again after our first date, but she kept texting and then went to a gig I didn't even tell her about." A weak smile is all she offers; he speaks again after a moment. "She's very rich."

"Oh, no." He has to laugh at her reaction.

"We went to a fancy restaurant on our date and she had to pay, I couldn't even afford to get water there." She gives him a side hug, crossing one arm around his waist and laughing against his arm. "There was this time when she told me I needed to have my hair cut 'cause it was too dry. I told her I didn't have money and she just couldn't understand how I couldn't pay for a haircut. She was kinda mad."

"Rich people are the worst, they just don't understand" She brings her face up to look at him and cups his cheek. "I'm gonna cut your hair, I did it for Joy a few times."

He smiles gratefully and leans in to kiss her. It's a soft, quick kiss, but he feels the results of it through his whole body; electricity, goosebumps, thundering heart. How can a person have so much power over another?

"We should explore." His face is still close to hers, her lips ghost against his when she speaks. "I have a flashlight in my backpack, and a sleeping bag big enough for the both of us."

It's probably 1 am, but it's not completely dark. It is a starry, full moon night and it seems like the whole world is covered in a shiny, silver cloak. Jake doesn't know if it's a good idea, but he would do anything for some actual alone time with Olivia, so he says yes.

She goes inside the tent she was supposed to share with Josh and comes back a few seconds later with a wicked smile and a black backpack with a sleeping bag rolled on top of it.

They head north for about twenty minutes, Jake has the flashlight in his right hand and Olivia's in his left, fingers intertwined. The whole time, a smile plays in his lips and butterflies fly across his stomach. He doesn't know what all of this means, what he knows is that Olivia is holding his hand after confessing she couldn't bring herself to sleep with another guy. What he knows is that she's as in love with him as he is with her, it doesn't matter that she never said anything, because he knows.