Ch 3 - Contract Be Damned

I should have seen it coming and maybe if I hadn't been so distracted with not screwing up this meeting, with the burning embarrassment of falling flat on my backside, I would have put two and two together, but I hadn't and now Mr Tell wore the expression of a man who knew he had won a game and it annoyed the hell out of me.

I tried to pull my hand out of his but he tightened his grip, as if it was some sort of game to see how uncomfortable he could make me. He watched me closely, enjoying how deeply he was affecting me, but seemed surprised when I yanked my hand out of his. The moment hung between us for a beat...then two, as we eyed one another. I felt something stir inside me, an inner animal awakening from a deep slumber, her ears perking up with interest, her eyes flashing with...recognition...as if she already knew the arrogant man in front of me.

The tension between us broke when a third man rounded the corner. I breathed a sigh of relief and didn't miss the amused look in Mr Tell's eye. He'd gotten to me and he knew it.

"Mr Fitzpatrick?" I asked. The man nodded but before he could speak I thrust my hand out. "I'm Lola O'Connell." He took my hand, looking a little confused, and I paused. He didn't know who I was.

"I'm filling in for Mark Tafferty," I reminded him; creative types were often forgetful.

"Mark isn't coming?" he asked, his Irish accent thick and delicate at the same time. It reminded me of Natalie's accent and I wondered if he was from Dublin too.

"No... my employer— Rosie May— called you this morning..." I trailed off at his blank expression. Oh god, had she forgotten to call him? All three men looked confused. Well, Riley looked confused. Elliot just looked disinterested and Mr Tell... he looked something else that I didn't want to think about.

Riley pulled out his phone, pressed a few keys, and then held it to his ear. I waited.

"Voicemail," he told Mr Tell, ignoring me. I waited as he listened to the message Rosie had left for him.

I smoothed out the dress as I waited and winced as the material rubbed over the scrapes on my palms. My hands still stung like a bitch from the fall and my backside hurt from the impact.

"Are you hurt?" Mr Tell leaned in, his presence imposing, but he didn't touch me. I would have been touched at his concern if he had actually seemed concerned. Instead he seemed annoyed that I had impacted his day at all.

"I'm perfectly fine, Mr Tell," I answered, my smooth tone rivalling his own. I'll admit that he had rankled me before. His cool beauty and sharp attitude had flustered me, but Riley's interruption had given me the chance to catch my breath. Sure, Alfie Tell was a beautiful man, but he was also arrogant and entitled, two traits that I found grossly unattractive. I didn't need to be intimidated by him, or anyone else, and there was no way I was going to let my racing heart and my sweaty palms screw up this meeting. No fricking way.

He watched me closely, studying me, clearly waiting for a reaction. I imagined he was a man that was used to getting one but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.

Just ignore, Lola. Ignore. You're here to do a job, just focus on that and then get the hell out of here.

Riley ended the voicemail and Mr Tell took a small step away from me, though at well over six feet, his presence was still definitely felt.

"Well that's a shame, I was hoping to meet the man." Riley looked at me expectantly. What did he want me to do about it? Teleport Mark in from his Mother's bedside?

"Well, I'm sure he was hoping his mother wouldn't have a stroke yesterday but hey," I shrugged, "what can you do?" I gestured with my file. "Shall we?" Three sets of eyes fixed on me and I swallowed a gulp of panic that my trademark feistiness might not be welcome here.