Ch 4 - Do You Like It?

"Wow." My eyes widened, my jaw dropping as I took in my surroundings. I found myself in a huge, circular entrance hall with rooms leading off either side and a dual staircase in front of me that led to separate wings of the House. The renovations weren't finished, that much was clear, but its bones were here, the promise of what it would be was visible.

I itched with the urge to dash off and explore. I was practically bouncing on my toes, giddy with excitement. My eyes couldn't decide what to focus on first.

A pair of workmen came by carrying a chandelier between them and my eyes grew wide. It was peculiar to see something so close that you could usually only see twenty feet up. I watched the men disappear with it into a room off to the left of the grand staircase. Without thinking, I followed them.

Each room was a grand event in the making. Everywhere smelled strongly of paint and varnish and in every room there were decorators busy at work; fitting wall paper, sanding a door. It was a buzzing enterprise and it excited me. Eventually, I found the men with the chandelier. I turned to find Mr Tell walking following a pace behind me, watching me curiously. It occurred to me that I should probably have asked permission before I went scampering around his property but he didn't seem to mind.

"What room is this?" I asked instead, taking in the huge space. It almost took my breath away.

"The Gold Function Room. It was once used as a ballroom I believe," he answered, his tone crisp. I explored the room a little, turning, my face tilted up as I admired the gold ceiling panels. He watched me, his hands in his pockets.

"Ballroom sounds better," I told him and the corner of his mouth twitched again. "Your face won't crack if you smile you know." I arched a brow at him. I hoped, despite how much he annoyed me, that we could be a little more civil to one another. We were never going to be friends, that much was clear, but after today I was never going to see him again. I could be friendly until then, even if he was the most entitled person I'd ever met.

"Outspoken little thing aren't you?" he said and I shrugged.

"I prefer impertinent." Rosie would probably murder me if she knew I was speaking to him like this but I couldn't help it and besides, he seemed to be enjoying it.

"Wow," I breathed again as took in the Botticelli-style ceiling.

"Impressive isn't it? We had a team of painters from Italy fly in to paint the ceilings." I was in awe, completely and utterly in awe. Never in my small, quiet life had I ever been anywhere like this. I felt him stepping closer to me, sealing me in a bubble of quiet despite the bustle around us.

"Do you like it?" he asked me, his voice low.

"Of course. Your guests are going to be very happy here."

"But you," he stepped into my field of vision, gazing down at me as if I were an ancient language he couldn't quite decipher, "do you like it?"

I felt as if he was asking me about much more than just the building. My core clenched with instant arousal, my inner animal preening with pleasure. What the hell was wrong with me today? I swallowed, telling my inner animal to calm herself down.

Luckily, I was spared from answering his question when we were interrupted by possibly the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen.

She glided over to us, her red Louboutin heels clattering on the marble floor. Her hair was black and straight as an arrow down her back, and she wore a black pencil skirt and a cream blouse. She was stunning in an elegant, vampiric sort of way. I tugged at my dress, which suddenly felt a lot tighter. She had her hands stretched out and kissed Mr Tell on both cheeks. He seemed pleased to see her and I took a step away from them to give them some space.