Ch 12 - I Could be a Good Man

I awoke the next morning with a renewed sense of energy, as if my unconscious brain had turned over my worries for me whilst I slept and sorted through them, deciding that they weren't such a big deal after all. I'd kissed him - so the hell what?

I pulled on a pair of pale blue capri pants and matched them with an oversized t-shirt and a pair of yellow sunglasses. Sunglasses were one of my weaknesses and I collected them in every shape and colour I could find.

I blasted the radio on my way to work, determined to drown Mr Tell out of my thoughts, and it worked, by the time I got to work my brain was completely cleansed of him...mostly.

"Morning!" I called to Sean on my way to the cafe to get my latte fix.

"Morning yourself, how did your meeting go?"

"It went. How was your night?" I asked, quickly changing the subject.

"It was decent. I went to Specimens, you heard of it? It's a new club. I spent most of the night buying Sambucca for a blond girl, then I ended up leaving with her friend. She had this piercing right on her..."

"Woah!" I threw my hands up. "I don't want to know."

"Sorry," he laughed, not looking sorry at all, "when was the last time you got laid anyway?"

"That would be none of your business."

"Well, I'm guessing it won't be long." He winked and I narrowed my eyes at him. He left me hanging for a moment before finally letting me off the hook with a gleeful grin.

"You got some flowers today. I signed for them and left them on your desk and before you ask me, yes I did read the card. You're a dirty girl, Miss O'Connell." He winked at me again and with that he flounced off, as well as a straight man can flounce anyway.

"Where's Rosie?" I shouted after him, praying she hadn't seen the flowers too.

"Training that new grower," he shouted back. He must be talking about Bradley. Sean turned around to walk backwards. "Don't worry, my lips are sealed."

There wasn't a doubt in my mind who the flowers were from and my good mood balloon slowly deflated. I went to the cafe first because dammit, nothing was stopping me from having my latte. I might have to get a brioche too.

Ten minutes later, with a latte, a brioche and a brownie, I let myself into the cabin and gasped at what I saw. A vase of Bleeding Hearts. Pink ones. Interspersed with pale pink Roses and Baby's Breath.

I reached for them and touched them tentatively. These little flowers held so much power for me. I wondered if he had any idea what they meant, but of course he did. I'd told him about them on the roof...and he'd remembered.

I leaned down, breathed them in, and was instantly transported to my Mum's arms. That was the power flowers held for me. For some it was books, others music or art. For me, it was plants.

There was a small card attached and I opened it with a reluctant twinge of excitement.

Lola,

How long do you think it will take for you to come once I'm inside you?

Alfie.

My core clenched, a heat sweeping over me so powerful I sank into my chair. The visceral images in my mind played on a 3D screen complete with surround sound. Mr Tell fucking me. Not loving me tenderly, fucking me. Hard.

I swallowed and stared at the elegant scrawl that no doubt belonged to him. Then my cheeks burned red as I realised that Sean had read this card. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath then opened them again. The heat in my core cooling as I stared at the pink flowers.