CHAPTER 22

MAGIC COULD BUILD kingdoms and shatter empires, mend wounds and break bones, rattle the earth and murder the stars

MAGIC COULD BUILD kingdoms and shatter empires, mend wounds and break bones, rattle the earth and murder the stars. Magic could be a curse and a blessing, a burning force that could connect people and worlds, engulf the whole universe and then create a new one.

It was when cruel kings and ruthless emperors had started using magic-wielders to extinguish armies and burn villages of innocent people, when maintaining wealth and lands had become more important than human life, that a rebel group of people that were against magic was formed. A new world, that was what they desired, a new beginning, that was what they dreamed of.

What began as a better life, with rallying cries for equality and promises of Asternal's end---the former name of Lantra---ended in brutal decisions and, ironically, more death. The leaders of the rebel group that almost everyone supported forced people who were gifted by the darkness to cast death upon everyone, magic-wielder or not. Only a few selected people with sacred powers were kept alive to continue their work.

Asternal turned to a cemetery. When the last house had been emptied of people and only the rebel group and the few magic-wielders had remained alive, the latter were forced to create a new mankind. As if they knew that magic could never be fully and deeply destroyed, as if they knew that it would continue to thrive and blossom even in the deepest cracks of the fallen kingdom that Asternal was, the rebels' leaders made the magic-wielders create people that had no magic. A clear indication of that would be their blue eyes. That way no magic-wielder would pass a glimpse of their magic to their creations to ensure that magic lived on.

So people that were gifted by the elements of nature and a man that was endowed with the power of the sun were forced to unite their magics to build a new country. A country of equality, a country of no magic. A new world.

Lantra was born. That rebel group had turned magic-wielders to gods, had made mortal people with immense amounts of magic kill and then give life, destroy and then rebuild.

But there was one exception, a traitorous secret that pierced through that blue-painted world and turned it into a colorful den of magic. It was that person who breathed sunlight and could create new lives that dared to give some of his own magic to one of his creations. Some of the magic-wielders followed his example and did the same. Soon enough Lantra wasn't a land of no magic.

The rebels had failed. Then they decided to act again. In a few years, they had created a new world, they wouldn't give up now. That was when the law about the different eye-colored people was enforced for the first time.

Most of the people with different eye color than blue, and therefore, people with magic were executed. Some managed to live in disguise. Some of them were found later. Some of them were not.

The beginning of an era was marked by executions in the name of magic. But there was hope hidden in the words of the last fortune-teller.

Heartbeats before his execution, he whispered to the wind, "It will be in the darkest days of Lantra's policy against magic that one of the greatest magic-wielder will live. Ice, wind, water, fire. Each of them in their most powerful form, like legions of people with the elements of nature were combined in one person."