CHAPTER 44

WE WERE IN THE GREATEST COURT of the Castle of Sunlight

WE WERE IN THE GREATEST COURT of the Castle of Sunlight. An orchestra of cellos, saxophones and drums stood under an ancient oak tree and filled the place with melodies someone could slow dance to. Spring was here and the aroma of flowers made everything feel like a fairytale daydream, while the colorful lanterns that hung from the trees' branches illuminated the faces of everyone who had come here to celebrate our triumph.

The moon was high, and as we stood on a golden and embellished with flowers dais, I could promise that we were closer to it than anyone else. In my purple embroidered gown and next to the king of the Gap World, I couldn't help but stand with my chin high and my shoulders held back, as everyone would want me to do.

Now, four days after Denfer's return to the Gap World, the celebration of our new kingdom was finally here.

The wine was endless, the laughter contagious and Amanda's voice echoed from behind me.

"You look gorgeous tonight," she said, her red lips forming a bright smile while we were still waiting for Cloudien to come and open the celebration as the Royal Astrologer. "But do you know what is missing?"

Casting a sidelong glance at Denfer, I found him talking with Normant and Jersen, his hands around a glass of sparkling wine. He'd been unusually quiet these days and watching him laughing with something Normant had said was relieving. As for me, I'd been alert all the time, worrying that the Devil would appear out of nowhere and decide to take me back to his kingdom. I knew it wouldn't happen.

Focusing my attention on Amanda again, her night black gown making her hair look like a smoldering fire I said, "Enlighten me, please."

She smirked. "Your smile. That's what is missing."

"I can't constantly have a smile on my face," I replied, but still made a mental note that she was right, and I should look more pleasant, not only tonight, but always from now on.

As some artist from Lantra would say, we had a kingdom that was kissed by the sunlight, embraced by the moonlight and softly caressed each night by the stars. We had gotten out of Hell, we had survived. Everything was perfect. Everything was all right.

"Have you memorized your speech?" she asked me, running a hand through my hair, trying to fix whatever imperfection she'd spotted.

I blew out a breath. "No. I don't want to give a speech, I told you that earlier."

Her mouth tightened, as if she was getting more and more disappointed at me. "You have to give a speech. Everyone's waiting to hear what their savior has to say."

"I don't really have something to say."

She held my stare for a long moment, then sighed through her nose. Her red hair gleamed in the dim light and reminded me of the Devil's eyes. I shook my head at the memory.