CHAPTER 42

NORMANT HAD BEEN RIGHT

NORMANT HAD BEEN RIGHT. The moment everyone's stare fell on the golden rose, there was only admiration and enthusiasm in their eyes. Holding the flower felt like an honor, something so sacred and fragile that one wrong move and it would disappear again, this time forever. Denfer nodded his head, a silent thank you written on his face for saving his kingdom's future, the moment Ian let go of the Devil; the moment Ian took a step back and everything returned to the way they had been before his intervention.

Now wreathed in red shadows, the Devil stood in the center of the room, a handful of his pawns behind him, armed with weapons and magic. I couldn't understand if he was irate at me for daring to find not only the hidden key for Denfer's kingdom, but also the way to break free of his control, or proud that he had finally found Hell's Leader. Stifling the desire to give him my greatest smile as a sign of victory and yell at him that there was no way I would stay by his side forever, I strode toward Denfer, probing the congested corridor behind him. I could swear that the whole building was overflowed with the people from the Gap World, all of them ready to inaugurate their new realm.

I would have settled a hand on Denfer's shoulder, whispering to Cloudien who stood next to him that I knew now why I had instantly felt my magic roaring at me to never let him go, that I knew now who he really was. But that would have been mindless of me to do when the dungeon that had once been the darkest cell was swarmed with sunlight. Sunlight that flared so bright that had me closing my eyes for a heartbeat. I opened them again and waves of surprise rippled in me the moment I realized that the source of all that blinding light was the golden rose I was holding.

The building shuddered. The Devil and his men took several steps back.

"What's happening?" I asked, tempted to throw the rose away in case I'd done something wrong.

Denfer angled his head, his lips pursed into a thin line. I didn't know if he was filled with agony or anticipation. "Two portals are about to open. One that leads to the Gap World and one that leads to . . . nowhere in particular. The people from the Gap World and the people who had first ended up in our kingdom, will have to choose where they want to go."

So that was the moment that all the broken pieces would finally fall into place. That was the moment that fate would finally be defeated by the will of its captures to change it. It was happening right now. And it was astonishing and right and true.

Stardust and light danced in the air and even the Devil looked mildly impressed by the sight. Dazzling and bright, the light rose in waves, creating circles inside of circles, shaping two portals, one that shone brighter than the midday sun and one that was a reminder of how dark that dungeon had been before the first flash of light.

Sounds of awe and applause echoed through the room and I felt Denfer moving away from me, dashing toward the empty space that existed between the portals. Behind him, the Devil enjoyed the view, a wicked grin plastered on his otherwise expressionless face.