CHAPTER 8

I stood next to Dad in Town Hall, trying not to pass out. Everyone in Halloween Town was lined up, and the Mayor was standing on the stage with his megaphone.

"Patience, everyone!" the Mayor called. "Jack has a special job for each of us. Dr. Finklestein, your Christmas assignment is ready! Dr. Finklestein, to the front of the line!"

I held my skull and tried to look as alert as possible. The vampires were in front of Dad, who was handing them a baby doll.

"What kind of noise is that for a baby to make?" Sicio demanded.

"Perhaps it can be improved?" Dad asked.

"No problem!" the vampires said in unison.

"I knew it!" Dad exclaimed as the vampires left. Dr. Finklestein came rolling up to us. "Doctor, thank you for coming," Dad said. "We need some of these." He showed Dr. Finklestein a picture of Santa with his reindeer.

"Hmmm," Dr. Finklestein said thoughtfully. "Their construction should be exceedingly simple, I think."

"How horrible our Christmas will be," the Mayor said as Dr. Finklestein took the book and left.

"No," Dad corrected. "How jolly."

The Mayor said something with his happy face switched to his worried face, but I couldn't register what he said, neither did I care. For coming up to us were the best trick or treaters I'd ever met, and also Oogie Boogie's henchmen--Lock, Shock, and Barrel. Lock and I made eye contact. I smiled and subtly waved at him, so that Dad couldn't see. Through Lock's mask, I could see him wink at me.

"What are you doing here?!" the Mayor demanded.

Lock turned his attention to the Mayor. "Jack sent for us," he said.

"Specifically," Shock added.

"By name!" Barrel chimed in.

"Lock!" Lock replied, pulling off his mask.

"Shock!" Shock pulled off her mask.

"Barrel!" Barrel exclaimed, and he pulled off his mask, too.

"Jack," the Mayor said, "those are Boogie's boys."

"Ah!" Dad exclaimed. "Halloween's finest trick or treaters. The job I have for you is top secret. It requires craft, cunning, mischief."

"And we thought you didn't like us, Jack," Shock giggled.

I rolled my eyes. Lock, Shock, and Barrel were the best trick or treaters, but they could be very annoying. Dad didn't like them, which is why I never told him Lock and I were dating. Lock wouldn't have been so tricky had it not been for Shock and Barrel. He was under a lot of pressure, and I knew the last thing he wanted was to get hurt. He seemed like a true trickster, but he was actually scared of what Oogie Boogie should do to him if he failed. He was actually a sweet boy once you got to know him, and if there was one thing he meant, it was that he loved me.

"No one is to know," Dad continued, ignoring Shock's comment. "Not a soul. Now..." He leaned in, and Lock, Shock, and Barrel gathered around as Dad whispered in their ears.

I moved to a table that was placed behind the three tricksters, pretending to be intrigued by a garland. But in reality, I was making sure Lock, Shock, and Barrel meant what they said. Of course, Lock probably did, but those other two...

When Dad was done whispering to them, they were about to leave when Dad grabbed Lock and Shock's wrists.

"One more thing," he said. "Leave that no account Oogie Boogie out of this!"

It was in that moment I studied their motions.

"Whatever you say, Jack," Barrel chuckled, crossing his fingers behind his back.

"Of course, Jack," Shock replied, crossing her fingers behind her back.

"We wouldn't dream of it, Jack," Lock said, crossing his fingers behind his back.

If you had a choice, Lock, you wouldn't even be here... I thought.

They ran off, but Lock stopped for a brief moment to look back at me and give me a frightened and annoyed expression.