Chapter 10

I was feeling dizzy at this point. Several of the townspeople had come through and Dad had given them all the assignments for the Christmas takeover. Now it was the band's turn. Dad was holding a string of bells, showing the band how to play a Christmas carol.

"It goes something like this," he said. He tapped the bells, and my heart fluttered a bit with joy when I heard "Jingle Bells". But when he stopped, it left. I was too worried and stressed about my mother and why Dad had even married a human in the first place.

"How about it?" Dad asked. "Think you can manage?"

The band played the tune, but it was flat and dreary. I cringed.

"Next!" the Mayor called.

"Fantastic!" Dad exclaimed. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit my lip. If I had to hear that constantly... "Now why don't you all practice on that and we'll be in good shape."

The band left as Sally stepped up. Sally seemed scared and anxious.

"Sally!" Dad said. "I need your help more than anyone's."

"You certainly do, Jack," Sally replied. "I had the most terrible vision!"

That caught my attention...

"That's splendid," Dad said as he turned to grab the picture of the Pumpkin King.

"No, it was about your Christmas!" Sally said. "There was smoke and fire!"

I stared at Sally, not wanting to believe her. But it seemed like...

"That's not my Christmas," Dad replied. "My Christmas is full of laughter and joy and this!" He showed her the picture, where he had traced over the original one with a separate piece of paper. That drawing showed him in a Santa Claus outfit. "My Sandy Claws outfit. I want you to make it."

"Jack, please," Sally begged. "It's going to be a disaster."

"How could it be?" Dad asked. "Just follow the pattern. This part is red, the trim is white."

"It's a mistake, Jack," Sally said, still talking about her vision.

"Now don't be modest," Dad said. "Who else is clever enough to make my Sandy Claws outfit?"

"Next!"

Sally reluctantly took the photo.

"I have every confidence in you," Dad said.

"But it feels wrong," Sally said as she walked away. "Very wrong."

I bit my lip again as Behemoth came up. "This device is called a nutcracker," Dad explained to him, showing him how it worked.

"Jack! Jack!" three familiar voices yelled. I looked at saw Lock, Shock and Barrel barging into Town Hall. "We caught him! We caught him!"

I smiled at Lock, and he looked at me and pulled his mask off, quickly winking at me. I saw a big sack in the trick or treaters' bathtub, with something bulky inside it.

"Perfect!" Dad gasped. "Open it up, quickly!"

Shock untied the bag, and something pink and fluffy sprung out of it. I watched and noticed it was the Easter Bunny. He hopped over to Behemoth and sniffed him.

"Bunny!" Behemoth exclaimed.

The Easter Bunny dived back into the bag and shook like crazy.

"That's not Sandy Claws!" Dad said. "Take him back!"

"But we followed your instructions," Lock protested.

"We went through the door," Barrel said.

"Which door?" Dad demanded impatiently. "There's more than one! Sandy Claws is behind the door shaped like this." He showed them a ornament shaped like a Chriatmas tree.

"I told you!!" Shock yelled at her cohorts. She tackled Lock and Barrel to the floor and began wrestling with them.

Dad screamed at them, making a scary face. They gasped, and Lock and Barrel hid behind Shock. They stared at Dad in fright.

Dad collected himself and said to the bunny, "I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, sir." He then glared at the tricksters. "Take him back, and apologize again! Be careful with Sandy Claws when you fetch him! Treat him nicely!"

"Got it!" Lock said as they left Town Hall. "We'll get it right next time!"

As soon as they disappeared, I got a familiar sense. Without thinking, I ran out the door.

"Lock!" I yelled.

Lock, Shock and Barrel stopped and turned around. I quickly rushed up to Lock.

"You guys go ahead, I'll catch up," Lock said. "Just meet me at the holiday trees."

Shock and Barrel stared at Lock for a moment, seeming suspicious, but they walked through the forest anyway.

"What's up?" Lock asked.

I crossed my arms and shivered as Whisper blew through my hair and clothes. "I...just...just..." I stammered, not able to spit the words out.

"You want me to be careful?" Lock guessed.

I nodded.

Lock took my hands and stared into my eyes. "I'll be fine," he assured. "There's no reason to worry about me."

"But...Shock and..." I whimpered.

"Look, as long as I keep up the act..." Lock began, but then his voice trailed off.

"What?" I whispered.

"Well..." Lock sighed. "I think they're starting to...wonder..."

"About you?" I asked.

"Yeah," Lock said. "My nightmares are getting worse. I almost screamed last night from my nightmare. And I've been 'getting fresh air' more often. And...I am so frickin sick of crying..."

"You're crying?" I asked. "How often?"

"Every day," Lock replied. "I don't even know..." He stopped and shuddered. "My greatest fear is not them finding out, but the fact that if they do find out, they're gonna go blabbing to Boogie."

I opened my mouth, but for some odd reason, I couldn't find my voice.

"There's no need to worry, okay?" Lock said. "I'll be fine, I promise."

"Just...don't be reckless," I pleaded.

"I won't," Lock said.

"Promise me!" I cried, breaking into tears.

"I promise, but...what's going with you?"

"I...I'll tell you when you get back, when I can," I whispered.

Lock pulled me close. "I hope you're okay," he said.

"I think I am," I replied. "Okay." I pulled away from him. "Shock and Barrel are waiting. You'd better go."

"Okay," Lock replied.

"Promise me you won't be reckless!" I called after him.

He turned and held up his hands to indicate that he wasn't crossing his fingers. He winked at me and put his mask back on, then turned and ran into the forest. I quickly sprinted back to Town Hall but fell against one of the pews in the back, then fell to the ground, and the last thing I heard was Dad yelling, "Skelly!"