CHAPTER 12

(Lock's pov)

"You know what we're talking about, blockhead," Barrel said. "When we left to get Sandy Claws. The second time, I mean."

"Nothing happened," I lied.

"Then why did she want to talk to you?" Shock demanded. "Why did you tell us to go ahead? Why did you want to talk to her in private?"

Were they figuring it out?

"Because I just assumed she wanted to," I said. "I mean...she did say only my name, didn't she?"

"Lock, what did she talk to you about?" Shock asked. "If it was about kidnapping Sandy Claws, I don't see any reason why she couldn't talk to me and Barrel, as well. So what was it?"

"I...don't...remember..." I lied.

"There'd better not be anything going on between you two," Barrel said.

"Pfft!" I scoffed. "Please. Who told you that?"

Shock stood up and crossed her arms. "Don't think Zenshe didn't see you two," she said. "You two have been dating, haven't you?"

I hesitated. "No," I said.

"You hesitated!" Shock yelled. "You are dating her!"

"Okay, fine, yes I am!" I yelled back, sitting up. "But what's wrong with that?"

"Lock, she's our sworn enemy!" Shock shouted. "Oogie Boogie hates Jack, and she's Jack's daughter, and so we hate her!"

"No!" I exclaimed, standing up. "No. You hate her. Not me."

Barrel glared at me. "When Oogie Boogie finds out..." he grouched.

"Oogie Boogie better not find out!" I said.

"Well, he will," Shock said. "In fact..."

She grabbed me by the arm, and I tried to pull away, but her grip was too strong. She and Barrel walked down to Oogie Boogie's lair, where Oogie Boogie was in the middle of tormenting Sandy Claws.

I started trembling.

"Hey, Boogie!" Shock yelled.

Oogie Boogie stopped and looked at us. I gulped.

"What do you want, you three?" he demanded. "I'm in the middle..."

"Lock has disobeyed you," Barrel interrupted, getting right to the point.

"How?" Oogie Boogie asked, his voice darker. I whimpered, trying to pull away from Shock.

"He's been dating none other than Jazmine Skellington," Shock said.

Oogie Boogie looked me dead in the eyes. I started sweating.

"You WHAT????" he shouted.

"Have fun," Shock chuckled. "Maybe you'll learn your lesson." She and Barrel ran back up to the house.

Oogie Boogie clearly didn't care about Sandy Claws at this point, at least for now. I cowered back into a corner as he pounded up to me.

"Lock," he grouched.

"I...I c-c-can explain," I stammered, but Oogie Boogie grabbed me and threw me into the farthest wall from us.

I tried to stand, but my leg gave way, and I collapsed again. Oogie Boogie came up to me.

"If you think you can sport with me, you're more stupid than I thought."