chapter two. [edited]

Tony had finally finished up with Bruce in the lab, a couple of hours past midnight. Bruce had made his way to his room while Tony went to grab a cup of coffee. The man basically lived on it.

He was sipping his drink when his mind began to wonder. He couldn't remember the last time he slept.

Tony's thoughts started running wild, desperately trying to fill the silence in the room. Beginning to remember things he really wished he wouldn't. The memory of Steve walking out however was quickly replaced with happy thoughts of his family. Tony still saw Steve occasionally for work. He tried to be professional but it was hard when all he could think of was the shit Steve said to him that night.

"Listen, I don't care that she likes girls. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that she starts taking this more seriously."

Steve said, voice stern and controlled. Tony was the complete opposite.

"Jesus Christ. She doesn't fucking want to. Why the hell won't you let her just herself!" Tony was screaming, silently hoping Peggy was in her room. She didn't need to hear this.

"Why is this so hard for you to understand?"

"She skipped her training 6 times! Tony, come on. To do that stupid science contest, give me a break" Now Tony was enraged. He didn't understand why this was so difficult.

"She's not Carter."

"She was supposed to be, till you ruined her."

Tony knows Steve regrets his actions. But it doesn't change the fact that it happened. He kept forcing the idea of Peggy to join the military when she clearly was fascinated with science. Steve kept signing her up for gym class when all she wanted was to go to her school's science club. Tony would take her to his lab and teach her some things here and there. The sparkles in her eyes, Tony would never forget.

He finished his coffee and glanced at his watch,

4:52 A.M

Tony let out a silent sigh and decided to go check up on Peggy, at least making sure she was okay.

He quietly opened her door and saw her fast asleep. A soft smile ghosting his face as he closed the door and made a beeline to his and Stephen's bedroom.

Tony tried to get some rest.

Peter woke up to the sound of his phone, signaling it was 6:30 A.M. He was so emotionally drained from yesterday that he completely forgot about school. That being said, he sluggishly threw on one of Harley's hoodies and walked out of his room.

He felt a massive weight off his shoulder as he caught a glimpse of his reflection in one of the hallway mirrors. He was starting to recognize himself.

Tony didn't get much sleep. He tossed and turned until he eventually gave up and returned to the lab. Hence why Peter found him in the kitchen, pouring himself some more coffee.

At this point, people knew better than to argue with Tony over his sleeping habits but Peter was worried.

"Morning Dad," Peter uttered as he made his way into the kitchen to grab some bread. Completely forgetting Tony wasn't caught up to speed with him.

"Yeah, say what's with the haircut?" Tony asked, too exhausted to even bother beating around the bush.

Now Peter was aware of his surroundings. He was very much aware of his accelerating heartbeat and the air caught in his lungs that refused to leave.

They say it gets easier. You gain more confidence. A stronger sense of self. That was a lie. If Peter couldn't guarantee an outcome, then he had a reason to be scared.

Peter took a deep breath and said "You know what... being transgender is... right?"

Tony was too tired to answer so he simply nodded, his brain not really connecting the dots.

Peter gave him a knowing look, his Dad wasn't dumb. The lack of sleep really slowed Tony down, but he eventually got it.

He walked over and just gave Peter a hug, not being able to produce the energy to speak.

But it was enough for Peter.

He cried for a bit. Soft sniffs and sobs leaving his mouth as he clung to his Dad. Tony just held him tightly.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep, cause Tony didn't care. His mind wasn't thinking about how the media would react, the Avengers, the company. All he cared about was still having Peter. He was his world. Tony knew exactly what he signed up for the moment he adopted Peter. Regardless of what happened, he promised himself he would be there for him, the way he wished his father was. So maybe that's why Tony didn't care that his kid was trans. He knew he still had his kid and that's what mattered.

Peter mumbled something but Tony didn't catch it.

"Repeat what you just said, Kid," Tony asked as Peter let go of him.

"Peter. Can you call me Peter, Dad?" He asked, his watery and puffy.

Tony simply nodded and returned to his forgotten coffee.

"So Pete, does Stephen know?" Tony asked as he made his way over to the couch, avoiding anything having to do with sleep.

Peter continued his journey of getting bread for his toast, "Yeah, I told him last actually." Peter dropped the bread in the toaster and went to make his eggs.

"I'm sorry but why did he find out before me?" Tony whipped his head around, asking in an "offended" tone.

Peter simply laughed as he continued cooking, "Well someone was stuck in the lab all day."

Looking back, Peter had always known his family was open-minded, so now he found his entire nervous state hysterical.

"So who else knows, or are we the firsts?" Tony asked as he lazily switched on the T.V.

"Just you guys, Uncle Clint, and some friends from school." Peter made his way over to his Dad, handing him a plate of eggs with some toast.

"Wait Peter, you're out at school?" Tony said before shoving the food in his mouth.

Right, school. Peter had to go today.

"Yeah but it's not like, great. Kids make fun of me whenever I try to go to the bathroom. Flash and his friends block me from entering the men's bathroom. They shove me into the girls changing room or a closet and just hit me. Not hard enough to leave bruises, but it still hurts. I once... I once packed and it fell out. Now they call me 'Penis Parker' and just,"

Peter took a deep breath, "Dad I hate it."

"Ok kid, Stephen and I will swing by tomorrow and sort it out. Either we'll get that Flash kid suspended or switch you. Your choice."

"Let me think about it. But, thank you."