chapter eight. [edited]

TW: panic attack

He was pacing back and forth now. Peter wondered around his room mindlessly as the other Avengers discussed in the living room. He could only hear snippets of the conversation.

At this point, he was hearing some music while playing with Lucky in his room to distract himself.

He knew he screwed up.

Peter didn't have much. He wasn't in the right body, he was held to insane standards by everyone around him, he can't even go to bed without the fear of waking up and not seeing his family. The general public didn't even know of his existence as Stark yet.

"Are you Spider-Man?"

Peter felt his heart get lodged in his throat. All he could do at the moment was run into his room and fall on the ground.

The one thing that was his, he'd lost it. Being Spider-Man was the only thing Peter had. It was the one moment where he didn't need to be scared of the world. He felt safe. He didn't have to worry about impressing anyone, no flashing camera, and high tech geniuses breathing down his beck. It was the one moment Peter truly felt free.

Peter was now thinking of the worst possible scenario. That he'd lose his family. The thought terrified him to his core. He began to shake. Peter was trying to breathe but he was struggling. It wasn't until the bark of Lucky broke him from his trance.

He looked up to see Wanda standing by the doorway, Lucky playing by her legs.

"Hey kid, is it okay if I come in?" Wanda asked him sweetly before Peter nodded. She made her way inside and sat at his side. Wanda noticed his tear-stained face and she softly dried them with her sleeve.

"How are you holding up?" At this point, Lucky was laying in Wanda's lap as Peter softly pet the dog. Wanda had a comforting hand around him.

"Not great." he said breathlessly.

"I'm scared. What's going to happen to me?"

Wanda looked at her feet as she collected her thoughts before she spoke up. "Nothing. Nothing is going to happen."

"I felt the same when we were fighting Ultron. I was scared. I didn't want to lose my only family," she took a small breath. "But I did. I lost him. But it wasn't in vain. He died protecting our new family." She softly took Peter's hand.

"But it all worked out. Look at us now, we're Avengers. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I'd be a superhero. It was never part of the plan. The plan for me was to protect my brother. Nothing else mattered. But now, I protect hundreds of other people, my new family, I do everything I can to make sure Pietro didn't die for nothing."

"When I lost Pietro, a part of me died that day. Almost as if, all the anger I felt towards the world, died that night. He was my everything, he was the only person I had left. But now, I have you guys. You guys are my family. "

"Yes, I miss Pietro. I miss him every day. But I'm going to honor his death. He died for the Avengers, and I will now do everything in my power to protect them. I'm not letting him die in vain."

She paused for a moment.

"We've all lost something here. As sad as it sounds, it brings us together. We all have different pasts but in the end, we all do this to protect the people we love. And that's each other. That's you. So, things will work out in the end. You'll be ok Peter."

He simply let out a soft chuckle and hugged Wanda. She gave in and held the young boy close. Lucky eventually jumped off Wanda's lap and began licking Peter's face all over.