chapter 6

"Hitoshi-san?" a voice called from the door. The doorknob turned, and a kawaii, pink-haired nurse poked her head into the hospital room. "Hitoshi-san, are you there?"

Hitoshi shot up from the bed. He had been laying there ever since Bokutachi-san had visited him and they had shared their first kiss, dreaming about the feel of his senpai's lips on his own. His heart was going doki doki so fast and his face was adorned with the most intense blush of his entire life.

"Y-yes, Nurse-sama?" He said.

She came into the room holding a clipboard. "The doctor-sama says that you can be dispatched now. You haven't fully recovered, so you'll need to have lots of rest, but you can safely leave," She smiled. "We know you are very anxious to get back to your tomodachis."

And my hot senpai, Hitoshi thought. He tried to contain his happiness at being able to leave and see Bokutachi again. "Arigato for my care, Nurse-sama," he said to her.

"Before you go, Hitoshi-san, I want to give you something," Nurse-sama mentioned, pulling a small pink paper from atop her clipboard. "A young man came by to give this to you. He didn't say anything else about who he was, but it seemed like he really wanted you to read this."

She handed Hitoshi the paper. Hitoshi examined its surface, carefully written with a loopy handwriting and decorated with glitter heart stickers. He smiled, immediately knowing who the mystery letter-writer was.

"He told us to tell you that he wants you to get better, Hitoshi-san. I could tell he was really worried about you," Nurse-sama added.

"Whoever he is, he is a really sugoi guy for caring," said Hitoshi, trying to hide his excitement to read Bokutachi's letter.

"That he is," agreed Nurse-sama. She pulled the door open and was about to leave, but she suddenly turned back to Hitoshi-san. "Sayonara, Hitoshi-san! I hope you feel better," she said to him, and eased the door shut.

Hitoshi waved back to her and sat down on the bed to read the letter. It smelled like sakura petals, reminding Hitoshi-san of spring. He began to read, feeling his heart swell with every word.

Konnichiwa, Hitoshi-san,

I hope you are feeling sugoi. That was a really nasty nosebleed you got the other day. I can't help but feel like I caused it; I know my thighs are irresistible. Anyways, I'm sorry for what happened with your tomodachis. I wouldn't have gone over to you if I had known you were with those two kawaii nekos. You see, they don't really like me. I can't really blame them though, since I did kidnap you. I made that mistake and now I can't go back. I should have had the courage to go up to you and tell you that I love you. That I have loved you ever since I first laid eyes on you. But I couldn't. I was cowardly. I couldn't bear to tell you how I truly felt, so I kidnapped you instead. I'm very sorry, senpai. And now no one wants to trust me. If I had just said how I felt none of this would have ever happened. 

I'm just glad to know you feel the same way, Hitoshi. And that you can still love me after all I did to you. ~ ^^

Sincerely, Bokutachi-san <3

Hitoshi-san felt a single tear fall down his cheek. He had no idea of the struggles Bokutachi-san went through in order to express his love. Hitoshi felt his heart break for Bokutachi. If it weren't for the kidnapping, they would have never met. Hitoshi would never have known that Bokutachi was in love with him. The kidnapping was what brought them together, but also could tear them apart. At least Hitoshi-san and Bokutachi-san knew that their feelings of love were mutual. They would just have to hide their romance from a distrustful world. Hitoshi-san started to carefully fold the letter so that it would fit into his pocket when he noticed a small yellow note on the back of the pink paper. He plucked it off and examined it. Bokutachi had written his phone number on the note, with Text me! written beside it. Hitoshi smiled and blushed. 

"I will, senpai," he whispered. He put the note in one pocket and the letter in another. He took one last look around the room and left it for good, pulling the door shut behind him. When he stepped into the clean, white hospital hallway, he saw many nurses and doctors walking around him, rolling carts and carrying trays between rooms. He started heading towards the exit, but he overheard a conversation between two nurses while he was leaving and slowed down to hear what they were saying.

"We've had 12 patients come in this month alone with it!" the first one muttered. 

"I know!" the other one said. "It's scary how many people have contracted rabies recently."

The first nurse nodded solemnly, fiddling with her blonde ponytail. "Do you have any idea what's causing the epidemic? There has to be something going on to cause this many cases."

"I don't know," he admitted. "But I have seen some of the squirrels acting weird. I told my husband to stay away from them."

Rabies epidemic? Squirrels? Hitoshi wondered.

"I guess we'll have to get in touch with animal services," said the nurse, "to see if they know anything about this."

Hitoshi-san shuddered at the thought of rabid squirrels infecting people. That was a little concerning, especially since squirrels were normally very kawaii and nice. But he hadn't heard about a rabies epidemic becoming a serious concern. He hadn't heard of any confirmed rabies cases at all

"It's probably nothing to worry about," Hitoshi said to himself. "And I haven't noticed the squirrels acting any different recently. There's no real reason for me to stress out about rabies." This helped him to feel a little better. 

Hitoshi made his way through the winding hallways and checked out of the hospital. His face was hit with the cool, clear fall air once he stepped outside, which was refreshing after days of being in the sterile and stuffy hospital. Hitoshi-san walked across the parking lot and stood by the edge of the road, waiting for a cab to come and pick him up. The only thing he could think of while he waited were the excited faces of his tomodachis when he told them he was dispatched. By the time he hailed a cab and was heading home, he had completely forgotten about the rabid squirrels to begin with. Once he got home, Hitoshi-san saw his phone on the table, right where he had left it before he went to go underwear shopping. He immediately gave Raku-chan and Koneko-chan a call. They were happy to hear that he was well enough to leave the hospital, and he arranged to hang out with them the next day. Hitoshi also texted Bokutachi, telling him he loved him. That night, Hitoshi-san slept better than he had in weeks. Everything seemed fine with the world, for once.