Chapter One

"Adventure is worthwhile," AEOP
________________________________________________________________________

  ~Waiting~

I jumped out of bed. This was the day. The day I was taking my horses and traveling to Rome. I danced to the closet, changed, then sprinted to the kitchen. Mom was there frying an egg for me, "morning!" I sang, my mood so high it reached over to the next universe. "Well, aren't you in a grand mood?" She grinned, putting the egg onto a plastic plate. I took off to the bathroom, brushed my hair, applied perfume, and ran back into the kitchen. My mom gave me a look for running in the house, but I was too excited to care. I sat down at the kitchen table and waited for Dad to come in. Once he did, Mom handed us our plates, then proceeded to sit down at the table. We said grace and I began stuffing my face.
I had waited for today over a year now. I had it all planned out. First, I would be sending several of my horses across several states to stay with my friends. Second, I would fly the two horses I'm taking from America to Rome. Third, we would land and go to The Liberty Performance Oasis to be introduced. I was way too excited to be staying there for the whole summer. I finished my breakfast and left the table in a rush. I grabbed my two personal suit cases, then made my way back to the kitchen. Once I got there I sat them against the wall and took off out the door. My eyes softened as Promise immediately spotted me; she lifted her head and whinnied to me. I only increased in speed. The mare trotted up to the fence to greet me. Estrella took off after her mother, she leapt into the air without a care win the world.
Amaya walked over at a lazy pace, but greeted me nonetheless. I stroked my red roan pinto's nose. Promise let out a deep sigh as I did so. I looked to Amaya who had gone back to eating. She was quite the distracted girl. I couldn't spot Angel in the open field, she must have been back in the wood area. I left Promise and walked into the barn. I snatched the leather halter with silver plates on either side that wrote out 'Promise Me' which was Promise's BLM register name. I opened the stall door, "Promise!" The mare didn't waste a second before she looked into the stable. I grinned at her eager self. I snuck around, closed the back door to the stall, then the front. "Hey girl, how are yah?" My voice was light as I haltered her. I patted her shoulder before exiting the stall. I proceeded to call and halter the rest of the mares.
Estrella's BLM name was 'Promise Me Stars' after both her mother and her own name. Amaya's register name 'Sunday Surprise' and Angel's 'Angel-With-A-Devil-Side' she was currently in foal to 'ChainBreaker' the world's greatest derby stallion currently.  Angel's foal will be the start of a few more.  Last year, Angel raced her final 100th race.  She had won 93 of them only to be beaten out by 'QuickSilver' and 'ChainBreaker' various times.  She began to have leg pain after her 99th race.  At first I thought it would have gone away, but it never did.  She raced her 100th and retired as a broodmare, but only to dam six foals.  After that, she will participate in short lunging and riding sessions.  I had her first foal to look forward too and I was over the moon about it. 
     I fed the mares three flakes of alfalfa hay, two scoops of high quality performance pellets, two teaspoons of probios, biomane, muscle quality, top line support, and a cup of shiner.  They deserved the best there was.  I took a minute to study the girls.  To the far left closest to the barn door was Promise.  Her red roan spots were dotted with off-white due to the change in seasons.  Her white complemented her roan with perfection.  Her clean, white, face nodded as she took in the food.  She was muscular and in shape, all her baby fat gone.  I grinned at her BLM mustang mark which usually kept hidden by her abnormally long mane.  I shifted my attention over to Estrella who was stalled right next to her.
     Estrella now stood 14.1hh almost reaching Promise's withers.  The yearling was nearing age two and I was beyond excited for that.  The filly had turned to a red roan over the year since she was born, but I wasn't complaining she was stunning.  She had four beautiful white socks that traveled just below her knees and hocks.  She had a blaze that stretched uniquely over her nose, and her pinto patches only made her more appealing.  She had breathtaking long mane just like her mother. 
     I looked over to Amaya who was inhaling her food.  She was now fat and healthy.  Her white star only shined brighter between her eyes.  The mare had gone into dressage work and was doing a very wonderful job at it.  She had natural movement, but what compelled me the most was the way she loved to preform it.  She had currently placed her dreams in a sport that could take her all the way up.  I was very proud of her progress.  She came from a hopeless situation to becoming the next star in the arena.  I smiled at the last mare who was munching at her feed.
     Angel was always such a pleasant horse.  She was a dream and still is.  The white dot between her eyes made her all the more irresistible.  She was a seal bay, 17hh Thoroughbred, mare.  I couldn't wait for her first foal.  She was currently two months pregnant so I had a while to wait before foaling.  Her eyes were so soft as I stared into them.  She was such a composed and docile creature.  Only who represented athletic ability yet the softness of a dressage horse's elegant prance.  She wiggles the feed around with her upper lip looking for the syrup I snuck in there to help the powder supplements stick to the grain.
     I walked to the first stall nearest to the barn door across from Promise, "Atlantic Black!"  I shouted, stopping short once I heard a nicker.  My smile only spread as the gorgeous blue roan gelding galloped across the vast field.  He was gelded two summers ago, due to myself having too many mares to take the risk of a pregnant one.  I had put them all in a pasture two years ago when photographers came out to take pictures for a magazine and realized I rather have a gelding.  I was yanked from my thoughts as my 15.2hh gelding shoved his face over the stall door to receive attention.  I giggled at his antics, slipped his halter on that read 'Atlantic Black' and shut the outside door.  I patted his muscular body before going into the next stall, "Allude!"  It took a minute, but eventually I heard the pattering of hooves.  I watched the gelding as he exited the forest and made a dash for the stall. 
     He slowed to a walk just before entering the stall.  I grinned as he curled his upper lip.  He did that every chance he got since I taught him the trick.  I closed the back door and fastened his halter that said, 'Love Me Like A Promise' I was quite happy when I registered him as that.  His mother was also Promise and yes his fraternal twin was Estrella; an accidental pregnancy but I loved having yearlings around.  He was built just like his sister, tons of muscle.  He had a small star between his eyes and a snip of white that trailed from his upper to his bottom lip.  He was a horse I don't think I could ever get bored with.  I finished with him and made my way to the last horse of which I owned.  I didn't even have to call his name, he came galloping from the field.  I left the stall door open knowing I didn't need to shut it.  He came into the stall and thrust his head against my chest.  A sense of joy spread throughout my body as my hands found their way to his neck. 
     He was a swoon worthy, chestnut, Hanoverian, gelding.  A multiple state champion winner, as well as USA champion in the show jumping community.  He was my entire life, my heart, my joy, he was everything.  He was lean and tall the perfect ideal jumper.  I ran my hand across his smooth neck.  He lifted his head to touch my cheek.  I giggle at the interaction and took his halter from the hook and slipped it on saying, 'Jack Of Jumps' which was appropriate since his name was after all Jack.  I closed his stall doors and fed the geldings.  I whipped out my phone and took a picture of my herd eating then left the barn.  I walked over to the paddock and watched a newly purchased Appy run around.  Now all I had to do was wait for my friends.