Chapter Eight

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I want to be." - Lao Tzu
________________________________________________________________

~Breathe And Listen~

"No, no, Kiley, stop. You're thinking too much, be a dumb kid and just chill girl," was Ben's oh-so wonderful advice. He stood in the middle of the arena, his index finger rested upon his bottom lip as if deep in thought. I scowled at him. Jack's gait was smooth, but I was still in my head. I couldn't get out of it. I kept thinking of Big Jake, the fall, the hurt. I know it wasn't the same, I was riding bareback, but today I was supposed to jump bareback. The dark haired boy drew out his phone clicking away. Boys. I continued to move myself with Jack's body. I had to keep my seat unless I wanted a repeat of last time. I nearly jumped out of my skin as music erupted into the arena. Ben just smiled at my abrupt state.
I waited and listened to the tune. The first song was 'I Told You So' by HRVY. A smile made its way to my face. It was a good, groovy song. The next thing I knew Ben was untying Promise from the ring hung on the wall of the arena and mounting her. I laughed as she pinned her ears clearly annoyed with his antics. His posture was perfect. Jack cantered past Promise with ease, I looked back to see Ben trying to convince Promise to walk. Yeah, good luck with that. Once she finally began to walk he advanced her to a trot, the mare flickered her tail but didn't protest. He shot me a boyish grin before trotting her to the foot jump. I moved Jack to follow behind. We had just made another lap around. Promise's ears were pointed at the jump, but she didn't refuse. Instead she leaped over the obstacle last minute having been on the wrong stride for too long.
The world seemed to stop into slow motion. I saw the vibrant orange neck of my best friend. His short mane fluttered with every stride. I listened carefully to every move he made from the breath he took in to the vibration he sent to the ground after a step. My body perfect in posture, swaying with him, moving with him. My hands gripped onto the reins of his bridle, but this time I didn't hesitate. I saw my small self on Big Jake, our border collie Shep run out in front of him, but this time the memory ended there. This time I didn't focus on my fear, I focused on a safe voice. A soft tone, one that I never heard but only saw. My mind was taken back to my first official race with Angel. Jessie stood watching intensely his lips moved softly mouthing the word, "breathe." From that point the memories faded into background noise with Ben's music.
I looked through the center of Jack's ears, my confidence arose for this exact moment. Jack took notice of my change in attitude, his strides became more forceful, his entire gait more passionate, his mind itself collected. He knew we were going to jump this, together. I got into my two-point position as Jack's front hooves left the fresh soil. The wind rushed to meet my face as I used my thighs to help keep my seat firm. I felt Jack's front descending, to this I matched. I began to sit back down on his well-muscled top line. The sudden throw to my body jerked as his front hooves touched the soft earth. My thighs kept me in check, an exhaled breath escaped my relieved lips.
I evened out my body with his as his back feet gave into gravity. I wore a wide smile as Ben shouted a chain of praise from the other side of the arena. Jack let out an excited whinny at the joy he felt arise in me. I patted his shoulder, the very warmth of it spread tingles throughout my body with accomplishment. A feeling I could only describe as warm and playful erupted within me. I laughed without a care in the world, my fear to an extent was gone. Ben cantered Promise up to me, stopping her with a tug on her halter, and hugged me. I took in the embrace full of a new sense of confidence. We broke apart, grinning from head to toe. I leant over, wrapping my arms around Jack's smooth neck. He was all I ever needed.
I heard claps and turned to see Eric and Tasha standing in the arena doorway with wide smiles. "That's what I'm talking about girl!" Tasha said, walking up with her hands raised for a high-five. I high-fived her and turned Jack to face them. She raised an eyebrow at Ben, "is this the boyfriend?" He burst out laughing at this, "yeah, I'm the boyfriend. That's definitely me." I shook my head at his jokester ways. "Pardon me?" Called an all too familiar voice in the doorway. My eyes lit up, Jack senses this and raised his head higher. There in the doorway was my boyfriend, Jessie Kade. Ben stroked Promise's red mane, "nah, I'm just messing. He's her boyfriend, I'm the best friend." In reality Ben was like a brother to me.
Tasha glanced from Jessie to me with an approving look. He walked up to me, patting Jack on the shoulder, and gave me a hug. "You look like the real deal on him," he said, showing off his signature goofy grin. "Like me?" I snapped my head to see Luke and Xavier had arrived. My other brothers like Ben. "You only wish," Jessie replied unfazed by Luke's behavior. "Where's your girlfriend and my best friend?" Luke only replied with a sly smile. I watched as Hannah ran into the arena with a crazy wide smile, "Kiley!!!!!" I jumped down from Jack, "Hannah!!!" We met each other with an excited embrace, squeezing the other with uncontrollable joy. Hannah has been my best friend since kindergarten, now twenty we still haven't changed.
"She's gets off the horse for the best friend, but not the boyfriend... how do you feel?" Ben asked with a wink. Jessie shrugged, "I respect the sisters before misters rule." My heart only melted with more gratitude towards him. He was the best boyfriend ever. I looked past Hannah to see Will, Emily, Samantha, and Nathan. I rushed to greet them, hugging them all, yes, even the groaning Nathan. I turned to see Eric and Tasha still present, "oh-uh, these are my friends. Guys this is Tasha a liberty trainer and Eric the show organizer." They nodded, introducing themselves. Tasha left me alone with them, but Eric wasn't too eager to go. "The show's tomorrow night. Be ready," he said politely before leaving.

********

I was on the verge of a panic attack. The show started in ten minutes. Jack and Promise were standing patiently in their display show stalls. There were about twenty show stalls, all the horses that performed would be confined in them until it was time to go in the arena filled with thousands of people. I watched nervously at the hoards of people peeking into the show stalls at all the beautiful horses. Promise was soaking up all the attention, but Jack didn't mind he actually seemed grateful not to have a stranger prying. I flinched at the vibration from my phone. My friends.

Have fun Kiley, we're rooting for you!-
Hannah

Front row seats, can't wait to see you!💖
Jessie

Just remember, be me and you'll be fine
Luke

Don't do that, be yourself, but have fun:)
Xavier

You got it girl!
Samantha

YouTube & I am waiting to see you rock!
Emily

So proud, you've got this Kils
Ben

Just pretend it's camp, you'll do great!
Will

Luck
Nathan

I smiled at all the sweet texts they left even Nathan's. I read the paragraph long messages from my parents watching me from TV. I loved them, they were the number one parents. I heard Tasha call my name, show time. I went to fetch Promise, but as I did so a white Arabian caught my eye. The horse had a sleek gray muzzle, nose, and around their eyes. The horse was clean, but he wasn't in the show stalls. He was off to the side, in a crampt stall. One considerably smaller than the others. I watched his nervous movements, the deep breaths he took in trying to calm himself, this caught my attention immediately. What wonderful self control he had to be trying to do that.
With the Arabian last on my mind I lead Promise out to the fog filled arena, the spotlight settling on us. This was it.

A/N:

Finally the Arabian is introduced!! All the friends are back again!! Love having them down with her :)