Chapter Ten

(Pictures above tell a story... pay attention to them from this point on)
"There are sounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds." - Laurell K. Hamilton
________________________________________________________________

            ~Stallion Of Heathens~

     A few days had come and went.  It was the same practice.  Every day had a routine, a routine everyone never wavered from.  I was playing out that exact schedule, but today had a slight curve ball in my way.  I was seated on the armchair of my single-person couch right by a very thin window.  I could always hear the nonsense outside even the cars which were miles down the driveway.  Today I was determined to change it up, I planned to jog with Jack a bit today.  He deserved more than my undivided attention while training, he was my best friend after all.  I finished tying my shoe when I heard voices coming from just outside the window.  I shifted my gaze to see Maria Blacksmith conversing with Ginny Foster, Tasha Wade, Eric Wealt, and Kyle Campbell.  Why where they all together at this hour?  Typically Eric would be tending to the Andalusians, Kyle the black and seal bay Arabians, Ginny the gray Arabians, Tasha the Clydesdales and Gypsy Vanners, and Maria would be with the Friesians. 
     I pressed my ear against the window, straining to hear.  "He's too risky to have out with the mares and stallions especially Arabian stallions can have a nasty attitude," Maria pointed out.  Eric nodded in agreement, "He's just a simple three year old, nothing special, I suggest we send him to a kill pen?"  Ginny's eyes widened to saucers, "excuse me?  Justice may be a wreck, but he isn't worthy of being killed."  Tasha interjected, "Ginny, who is going to possibly want an Arabian stud who's a psycho?"  Kyle stepped in, "she's right, Ginny, I'm sorry but this is out of our hands."  As he said that a teenage girl with fiery red hair lead a small, sleek, white, Arabian.  I marveled at the sight.  The horse had wide nostrils breathing rapidly, his neck was high, ear forward, his feet hesitated just before he placed them on the cobblestone.  He had never been out here before. 
     The stallion whinnied out of hope another horse would hear and help, but no reply came.  His eyes, bright and big, analyzed everything.  He walked fast next to the girl, a clear sign of nervousness.  They were sending him to the kill pen?  Him?  He's magnificent.  I left my guest house without much commotion, I took a few strides before I was standing with the rest of them.  "You're sending this horse to the kill pen?"  I couldn't hold back the answer nor the toxin in my voice.  Maria was quick to answer, "yes, he's too much to have around the mares and is too spirited to control."  The girl leading him froze, "what?  You're selling Justice?"  Appropriate name for such a beautiful horse.  Ginny sighed, "I tried, Babe, but maybe it's best this way."  I walked slowly to the stallion, his eyes were trained on me.
     He stood unmoving waiting for me to make the wrong move.  His nerves got the better of him as he backed away, putting a good bit of distance between us.  I looked him in the eyes, right were the doors to his heart were.  His eyes mimicked fear, stress, alertness, but most of all- hurt.  What was ailing him?  Why did he react like this?  Has he never been handled?  I didn't take another step and without turning I declared, "I'll take him."  This silenced any remaining conversation.  "What?" Kyle asked.  With a confident breath I turned, "I said I'll take him.  I will buy him however much, name your price."  Kyle thought on this for a moment, "just like that?"  I stood firm, "just like that."  We stayed in a stretched silence for a long while before he finally responded, "okay, under one condition.  He puts you in the hospital he will be sold."  I nodded, "thank you."  He shook my hand and I went to gather my new horse.
     The girl gladly handed the lead rope to me and whispered, "thank you."  I smiled back at her.  I paused for a moment as he registered who now had his lead rope.  Once he gathered himself I lead him to the barn Jack and Promise were boarded in. Justice's nerves only got worse when he walked down the alley way. He was constantly speeding up, moving, doing anything to increase my pace. I heard two distinct nickers and knew exactly where I was. I smiled up at Promise and Jack both curious about the stallion I was leading. I opened the stall door next to Jack and lead Justice in. I slipped off his halter and he started throwing a fit. I quickly exited the stall as he pawed, reared, striked. What was his deal? I snapped a picture of him pinning his ears, mouth open, and had just lifted off his front feet. He did this for a good while until he settled and stayed in the back of the stall.  I couldn't fathom why such a stud would act in a vile way.
     As far as I knew he had been raised in a caring vicinity- why all the sudden be so closed off.  He stood by himself, head low to the back wall, his breath even and slow, his entire composure mimicked that of defeat.  I stayed by his stall door watching the strange stallion unmoving in his own thoughts.  I briefly wondered if he had ever been with another horse.  I looked to my right to see Jack's big head looking at me through the stall window.  His gaze curious and friendly.  I pondered on this thought for a moment before I clipped a halter on Jack and lead him out of his stall.  I took him to the indoor arena- which was thankfully vacant- and tied him up to the hitching post. 
     I returned back to the stables to get Justice.  He never flinched nor acknowledged me once I entered; he was shut down.  With a frown, I lead the depressed horse down the aisle and to the arena.  He didn't fall into his nervous, spooky behavior, only dull and down.  I closed the doors of the arena and let Justice off of the lead rope.  I, then, went to Jack and did the same.  He was skeptical of the new horse at first, but eventually went up to greet Justice who had yet to move.  Jack was significantly taller than Justice was, but Justice didn't care he took in Jack's scent welcoming.  Jack, being the gentle gelding that he is, submitted under Justice's rank and they simultaneously took off in a sprint.  Both of the boys galloped along the walls of the arena with free spirits.
     Jack galloped with an outstretched head, his tail flattened to the wind, and his stride smooth.  The lights danced on his muscles.  His shiny coat winked at me.  He looked stunning in the arena lighting and dry dust.  He ran with such freedom I felt lost in his own vicinity.  Jack's kind eyes blinked in his still head as every muscle in his body moved- all but his face.  I loved the gait and rejoiced in it.  Justice's presence was a bit different from Jack.  He held his head high, his tail up, his stride short and sweet.  He wasn't as muscled as Jack, but he was well-toned.  He galloped with his heart on display whereas Jack did it out of fun.  He put no real effort into it as Justice did.  His wide eyes brightened up as he tossed his head playfully in the wind he created.  Jack leaped up in front of the Arabian and kicked out at him.  Justice sped up, passing Jack, and lunges into the air.  He was at least three feet off the ground and looking to be having the time of his life.
     The depressed stallion had been cooped up too long and now ran free with the shadows of tomorrow. 

A/N:

Finally an update... I know.  It's been forever, but hey it's an update.  At least y'all know I'm not dead!!  (Like y'all care about that)  Anyway hope this chapter makes your day