Chapter Fourteen

"Trust is a dangerous game." - Unknown Author
————————————————————————————————————————————————

~Chaotic Arena~

I sighed at all the people in the stands. My nerves were twisting in my stomach like a bundle of crowded worms. It wasn't my first show, but it was my first show without my friends. Jessie had filled me in on what was all happening with Nathan. They reported the animal abusers as well as thieves to the police. An investigation has been opened since then however, no apparent leads have been found.
Maria gave me a supportive smile before she headed out to start the show. She was draped in beautiful white samite bejeweled in the finest of stones. Her highlighted brown hair cascaded down her face in flawless curls, her makeup outlined her highlights adding to her appealing complexion. I watched as she greeted the hundreds of fans with a sparkling smile.  Jack nudged my back sensing my discomfort. I looked the big chestnut in his soft brown eyes looking for some type of reassurance.  His eyes lit up with a hint of excitement.  His veins were prominent along his coat, he was warmed up, thinking clearly, and ready to go.  I stroked Jack's long nose keeping his gentle gaze.  The simple sound of his breath relaxed my tense body.  I looked back to Maria to see her wrapping up her introduction.  She did a different one every week to keep the audience entertained.  She finished her announcements and began to introduce the horses and their trainers.
Tasha released Knight off into the arena. The giant Friesian loped into the circle arena. His muscles rippled with each step he took, his mane flew behind him in waves, he lifted his knees high to his chest. He mimicked that of a floating horse full of fuel. Maria lifted her delicate hand, Knight caught sight of it and came to stand by her side. It was truly a gift of mere trust to ask a creature of that size, power, nature to stand humbly by a frail human's. She reached down his muscular leg, tapping the inside of his forearm. The lean stallion went down into a bow, his mane touching all the way to the ground. Maria curtsied beside the black horse, "Knight is one of our most prized horses in the show. He's a purebred Friesian, standing forty millimeters otherwise known as seventeen hands, he is at the young age of eight, won many dressage competitions, and has sired over many foals.  He will be available for booking to proven purebred Friesian mares next month."
     The audience applauded the magnificent stallion.  I smiled at the many phones videoing or photographing the beaut.  Tasha's turn was next.  She stood calmly with Cecile awaiting the signal to be called in. Maria raised her hand, Tasha leaped up onto Cecile, and the two rode off into the arena. Tasha looked breathtaking in her dress. It was a beautiful pearl white, silver glittering flowers winked at the audience from her waist below, the thin fabric flowed endlessly off Cecile's white body. Cecile's heavy hooves came lightly off the ground only to snap back down with an energized force, making her look graceful and powerful at the same time. Commanding the audience's attention with her simple movements. Cecile ended her flawless lope circle beside Knight. Together they complemented the show like a soft ember- a heap of delicate light beautiful to the eye, however with one slight contact an inferno can awaken.
Tasha smiled widely her palm ran along Cecile's lengthy gray mane. She looked so relaxed, so at ease, I wish I could be that confident. My breath hitched as Maria raised her hand for my entrance. I gnawed on my lip nervously glancing over at Justice. I had just gotten him comfortable barebacking a day ago and now this was his first appearance in an arena full of people, lights, noises, and chaos. I quickly mounted the white Arabian and loped him out to the arena. I felt him tense underneath me at all the commotion. My heart squeezed in my chest, my own nerves colliding with his. He kept his head high, looking at all the people cheering him on. The way he loped, moved, was- I could tell he wasn't comfortable.
I took in a deep breath forcing myself to calm down. His tensed body wavered slightly at my sudden calmness. He made the half circle and I directed him to stand by Maria. His bouncy lope transitioned to a trot, then came to a halt at the giant Friesian's side. Justice's ears spun every direction, his nostrils flared, eyes alert. I withdrew a deep breath as Ginny, a middle aged red headed woman, rode out on Tuxedo.  Tuxedo was a dashing bay tobiano paint Gypsy Vanner.  He was the only Gypsy stallion whom preformed.  His long zebra striped mane bounced off his lower knee nearly reaching the top of his hoof.  The giant stud halted himself beside Tasha.  A quiet music started to play, a piano echoed throughout the arena adding a sense of softness to the vicinity.
     My breath hitched as I waited for the down beat of the drum yet to play.  The sound of my own heart beat rose over the piano.  I waited;

One,
Two,
Three,

     The drum joined in a powerful statement with the piano's once delicate harmony.  I tapped my heals just behind Justice's shoulder.  He took notice of my signal and reared up with the rest of the trainers.  His small body didn't show brooding strength like Knight's not stillness like Cecile's neither beauty like Tuxedo.  Justice held precision, elegance, grit- characteristics only an Arabian can reveal from one simple motion.  The horses landed once more as silvery Arabians ran out from behind us.  Maria, Ginny, and Tasha quickly rode out of the arena and out of sight.  Justice grew antsy at their absence.
     Five gorgeously white Arabians danced along the arena's walls.  Their floaty trot gave the illusion as if they were flying.  Justice curled his head against his chest.  I touched my right foot to his shoulder tapping it subtly, he planted his hind legs using his front to move in a circle.  He turned slightly ahead of the lead Arabian's lope giving the impression that the loping Arabian's were following after Justice's head direction. 

One,
Two,
Three,

     Five more black Arabians loped onto the scene.  Justice span all the faster as the added speed of the ebony horses increased the overall pace of the herd.  I threw on my best smile, lifting my arms in the air in a solute a gymnast would give the judge after a routine.  The crowd roared with praise nearly as loud as the music.  All too quickly I seized the pressure on Justice's shoulder, he abruptly stopped.  The Arabians trotted to the center, standing on either side of Justice.  Five black Arabians on his left, five white Arabians on his right. 

One,
Two,
Three,

     The down beat rang throughout the room, all the Arabians reared up with excitement.  They dispersed galloping out of the arena and through the entrance disappearing to the stalls out in the back.  Justice still remained in the rear, I clicked the button on my head piece turning it on, "and now, ladies and gentlemen, the Andalusians!"  With that Justice landed back on all fours and galloped after all the other Arabians.  Tasha winked at me as she balanced one foot on Cecile and one on Kendra, both gray- appearing white- Andalusians with three others following behind the pair. 
     I let out a deep breath of relief before sliding off the stallion and giving him a handful of treats I kept in the round pen where the Arabians were trained to go after preforming.  The worst part was over now everyone else would preform, Promise going second to last for a comedy act, and Jack going last jumping with me bareback.  I closed my arms around the white Arabian's neck, burying my head in his slim neck.  His breathing visibly relaxed at my touch, "thank you, Justice."

A/N:

Finally an update!  I know sorry😬