1

Years had passed since the two friend have seen each other. Elle's mom had a baby after she remarried. Her new husband became Elle's father figure. He had died a few months after the baby was born. The baby, Elizabeth, but called Beth, is now four and Elle is eighteen.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The girls mother, Myra Jones, was laying in bed, face white as a sheet. "Mama, how are you feeling?" Elle asks, holding Beth's hand.

"Alright." Myra says then coughs violently.

"Oh Mama, you are not alright are you." Elle says and hold her mothers hand.

"Come here my dears." Myra says and Elle sits in the chair next to her bed after sitting Beth on the bed. "I love you my darlings. So, so much. It is almost my time to go, and be with your father. I love you both, please Elle, keep you both safe." Myra says.

"I will Mama." Elle says tears streaming down her face. "I love you." she says and hold her moms frail hand

"I love you to Mummy." Beth says snuggling into Myras side.

"And I love you my darlings. Stay safe and know, I will always be with you both." Myra said and then coughs violently. She looks at her daughters one final time and gives them one last smile. Her breathing slows and then stops all together.

Elle starts sobbing and Beth looks at her scared, "Elle, whats wrong with Mommy? Why isn't she breathing?" The four year old asks, her blue eyes filled with confusion.

"Mommy died, she is now with Papa." Elle explains.

"Where will we go?" Beth asks, her eyes filled of fright and sadness.

"I had gotten a letter from my old friend just yesterday morning. He said the house he works at needs a new maid. I can reply after we tell Mamas doctor what happened and maybe we can go there." Elle says. With one last look at their mother, now looking peaceful, the two girls leave to town to tell the doctor.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Elle watched as the doctor, takes their mother to the morgue. She then goes to her room to write Thomas, after a moment of thought, she grabs her notebook and begins to write,

Dear Tom,

My mother had passed away just this morning, my sister, Elizabeth and I have no place to go. You said in your last letter that there was a job opening for a maid at Downton Abbey. Can Elizabeth and I come? I can take the job if possible. But I am not loosing my sister to an orphanage. I promised my mother I would protect her. So Tom, if you can, may I have the job but keep my four year old sister with me?

With love,

Ellie

Elle fold up the letter and puts it into an envelope and brings it to the post office. "Please bring this to Downton Abbey, as fast as you possibly can." She tells the woman at the desk. The woman nods and Elle leaves, all the while thinking. Please say its okay Tommy. Please oh please.