Harsh Reality

Councilor Sparatus x Fem! Shepard

The reapers had come, and earth had been hit, hard. They came in numbers, with no mercy; I was sure the rest of the galaxy would be feeling the heat soon. Leaving mars, I peered out of the observation deck as we approached the Sol Mass Relay, to go report to my favorite people, the council. I leaned against the window, running my hand along my cheek to touch the angry red scars that resided there; everytime I act with the action that needs to be done, my scars grow, I can feel them burn, the adrenaline helps me get through the emotional pain of realizing that I would never see my home whole again. A part of me knew what it would come down to, I knew by the end of this I would be dead. Sacrifice by necessity.

"ETA ten minutes Commander." Jokers' soft voice came over the Con, he was just as shaken by this as everyone else, that means a lot, not much can shake Jeff. "Thank you Jeff." I whispered, an audible gasp came from the speaker, "Ah commander you wound me. No smart comeback? No insult just for me?" He tried desperately to cheer me up, he knew that if I said thank you I must really be going through it. I never say thank you.

"No joker, just, thank you. For everything." My eyes watered, and I choked back a sob, I hated to think how much the crew would miss me. I hated to think of the pain it would cause Thane, Garrus, Tali and Liara: but it had to be done. There was no use on fixation, so I dried my eyes and felt my scars one last time. I sat down in front of the observation window for a while until the Normandy came through the Serpent Relay, the purple haze of the Nebula had always relaxed me; it did the opposite now, it seemed like it was the last refuge for all life and there was only so much room.

Heading down to the armory, I got into my armor in a hasty flash, before signaling James to follow me. "Go find Liara, tell her to suit up and ship out to the port airlock, we're docking with the citadel. Tell Chakwas to get Kaidan to the hospital Immediately. " I pointed behind me with my thumb, " that goes for you too, bring the biggest gun you can carry, just in case. I'm done with surprises for one day." James nodded, before placing a hand on my back, "Commander, I'm sorry for earlier." The thought was sweet, and caused my scars to shrink just a tiny bit, so I replied promptly, "It's alright James, now go get dressed before you get all mushy."

I stood at the airlock, unprepared to face the horrors that lay ahead of me; the counsel races were probably too absorbed in the fight for their own planets to help Earth; I couldn't blame them if they could not lend help but I'll be damned if I don't try. The presidum looked just as sickeningly peaceful as ever, people going to and fro, about their daily lives; without a single clue of the war going on outside. The place made my gut wrench, and my mind fill with thoughts that would make my scars burn like wild fires until they consumed my whole face. I stormed past shops and restaurants, gaining speed and ferocity with every step; Vega and Liara struggled to match my pace as I made my way to the council chambers. "Shep slow down, you're like a charging krogan!" James growled from behind me, before prodding Liara, "you, talk to her, she'll listen to you." I whipped around before a word could fall from her azure lips, "James I'm sorry, I do not have time to slow down the whole fucking galaxy is on fire goddamnit!" I spun around to resume my course of action, marching up the stairs two at a time, before finally reaching the doors to the councils meeting room.

I jammed the open button repeatedly, before kicking the electronic door harshly; which finally prompted the piece of scrap to open. The council stood in disarray, arguing amongst themselves about reinforcements, strategies, and weapons; so preoccupied in their own disorder they had yet to see me approaching, which I took to my advantage. "Councilors!" I barked, gaining all of their attention, "Do you believe me now?!" I growled up at them, damn bastards always had to be on a pedestal, even Udina, the bloodthirsty mongrel. "Yes..." councilor Tevos (the asari) began with a crestfallen voice, "the reapers are attacking everything Shepard." Sparatus interrupted Tevos, gazing down at me sympathetically, with grey eyes ablaze.