The Exception

Zaeed X Fem! Shep
Warning; angst

Sounds of merriment filled the chow hall, as the inner circle of close teammates celebrate the success of garrus' loyalty mission; everyone was here but jack of course, who cursed us all for even considering inviting her (even though she was thankful).

I sat approximately in the middle of the table, garrus to my left, Thane to my right; with zaeed sitting across from me, Samara and legion also reside next to him.

"You know Shep, I thought you were gonna stop me from taking the shot." Garrus poked my side with a spiny elbow, mandibles wide in a classic vakarian smirk of jest.

"Never in a million years Garrus. You're my best friend, I understand the situation." I reply, leaning away slighting to look him in the eye; after all he was rather tall.

"Heh. I'm still the better shot." He teased, eyes glinting with challenge.

"We are so going to test that, spiny bastard." I laughed at his expression, picking my trey up and stepping out of my chair.

"Squishy mammal." He retorts as I walk away, shaking my head with a smile as I return my tray to gardner.

"Get me a cup and some scotch, if you wouldn't mind." I say, leaning against the bar, gazing over at my closest friends sharing a moment of peace and happiness.

While waiting for Gardner to fix my drink, I look over my team, until my eyes land on zaeed; who is intently focused on Samara. With glowering eyes he was practically drooling over her, his gaze was sown to her as she did a fair amount of nothing.

The mood seemed to sour instantly, I knew the look in his eye; it was the same exact way kaidan used to stare at me before I died.

What the hell does it take to get noticed by this asshat?? I scoff to myself mentally, snatching the bottle of scotch from gardner's hand, filling the tall mug all the way to the top before roughly setting the bottle down; I turn on my heels, walking back over to the table, where the second ever guy I'd actually found interest in was oogling another woman.

"Listen up!" I huff, scuffing my boots on the floor to catch everyone's attention, with a mischievous smile, I raise my glass to them all, "To the lust of revenge, and the fulfillment of vengeance!" Though my eyes passed among all of their gazes, I could not stop myself from landing on zaeed once more.

"I can drink to that!" He exclaims, despite his flustered expression, eyes never leaving mine as drink clinking is initiated.

Sneering to myself I mutter under my breath before downing my scotch in one swift movement; before slamming it down on the table, the metal trays on the table jumped and clattered.

That was not entirely thought out, to say the least; The once seamless metal cup was a dented heap in my hand.

All eyes were laser focused on me.

No pressure.

I let loose the most awkward laugh, scratching the back of my neck, before turning around to stride back over to gardner with the broken cup; handing it over to him shyly, with a bashful expression, "I'm sorry chief I just don't know my own strength sometimes."

With a shrug, I turn away from the shocked look on his face, to find a dozen other persecuting faces behind me, "guys I'm sorry I'm just tired," I begin with my signature don't-ask smile, "I'm gonna go get some sleep before I level the table, I hope you guys don't get too rowdy, shore leave tomorrow and I want a proper party, not a hungover one."

And with that, my goodnights were said, so I headed for the elevator.

As I pressed the button for my cabin, I reclined against the wall and waited for the door to shut. Just before the mechanism could begin, none other than Zaeed Massani comes strolling around the corner and into the elevator with me; The last place I wanted him to be right now.