5. Secrets of a Saint

I woke up to a low chanting of gibberish. Above me were witches, smearing ointment on my chest wounds and an older witch closes her eyes and hovers her hands repeating a foreign mantra.

The younger witches holds onto my arm to assure me. "Don't worry Ms. Arendelle. We are numbing the pain."

But I was worrying, I tense up and move myself out of my sleeping position which startles the which who was casting her spell. "Where's Anna? Kristoff? Mother? Father?"

The older witch pushes me down forcefully. "I was almost done!" she shouts. "Didn't she tell you not to worry?!" I feel the jab of pain on my chest, the soreness of my sudden movement. "Now look at you? I could've stopped the pain but you moved!"

"Mother," The younger witch says. "Can you blame her? The last thing she remembered was the chaos." Her mother rolls her eyes but the younger witch eased my worries. "Don't worry, your father got to the Fallen before you were seriously hurt."

I lay back down comfortably. 

"But she is seriously hurt," The witch says. "Now do I have to use a sleep spell for you to sleep?!"

I shake my head.

The witches sped up the process by their whispering chants. 

"Now," The older witch explains. "We only stopped the bleeding and numbed the pain. Just because you can't feel any pain doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want. Rest well. Don't do anything physically crazy, that means flying. For 2 months. Understand?"

I nod. The older witch leaves my bedroom annoyed. But the younger witch stays for a bit to pack up the tools. 

"What happened to the Fallen?" I ask. 

"Your father took it back to Hell. That was the first time he had to use his angelic powers, it was pretty amazing," she says. Well, I never got to witness that. "The Demon Queen will probably have to up her defences since she let a bunch of angels raid the eternal flames." 

"Hey," I address her softly. "Can you witches ... can you take away memories?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I don't know," I answer. "I feel like I'd be less miserable that way."

"The thing you need to know about spells is that the larger the possible repercussions are, the more effort and energy used in the spell."

"So you can do it?"

"I've never performed that spell before," she says. "I am a witch that works for Heaven, paid by the government and ordered by the government. The main work I do is heal people."

"Oh."

"I'm happy to try," she tells me. "But I think you need to think it through because even losing smallest memory can make you a completely different person." She stuffs the tiny pots into her bag. "But I think an Angel that went to Hell and back is what Heaven needs."

________________________________

I returned to the humdrum of my own life. Which was to stay in a desolate state in my bed. 

I didn't need to see my family because I knew they were okay, and it could be partially my fault for angering Tooth. Slightly. Although, I'd like to think I wasn't because she pulled off such an attack in such little time from our unpleasant interaction.

I thought about this for a while and accepted that it had been my fault. Fully.

There was a soft knock on the door. I reject it, like always. "Leave the dinner at the front please!" I yell from my bed. But the door clicked open and my father was there. In his normal attire.

He approaches me with his back straight and he sits by the bed. "We left you for two months to heal. Now it's been five," he says. "Why are you like this?"

"I caused the whole attack," I reply. "This is my prison. It's not some eternal flame but this'll do."

"It's my fault Elsa," he says. "It's my fault for letting you go down to Hell." He shifts closer to me. "What happened down there? I'd like to know."

"If I tell you I'd be thrown into flames."

"You know I won't let that happen."

I roll my eyes. "No, you just threw me down there temporarily."

"I had no choice," he says. "Is it because you encountered the demon prince's father?"

"More like his brother."

"So, there was no sign of their father? None?"

"He was rarely spoken about," I answer. 

Father stands up from the bed. "As I said, this is all my fault. I know that it's hard to talk about your time down there and it's also hard to adjust to your renewed life here. That is why I'm going to offer you something I've never offered anyone before." He gently pulls me up from my laying position. "Fly with me dear."

It had been around year and five months since I've flown. But I lifted myself off the ground because I had never seen the amount of guilt written on my father's stern face. 

We land on an isolated, but large cloud with a small cottage built on it. From the window you could see that the lanterns were still illuminated. I follow my father with slight hesitation. But when we enter the wooden cabin-like cottage, no one here. Father sits down, he didn't compose himself like an official he just relaxes looking at the flame across from him. I just standd there, amazed at him being less ... serious.

"Elsa. You know the history of Angel's being on the field and using that power to help others?" he asks.

"Yes," I answer. "A bit."

"We then thought there was no need to help others when we trapped the bad in Hell," he says. "But in reality, there are threats everywhere. The Council knew that so we had a secret Angel who restored the good on behalf of all Angels." I sit down on the wooden armchair. "This place housed that secret angel, but unfortunately his vessels time was up. He's gone and now, the mortal world is ... is in chaos. There is no one answering the mortals prayers, no one stopping demons and other evil entities." 

"The only person who could stop that Fallen is you," I say. "Are you going to resign and become those angels who fight?"

"No," he answers. "I have a responsibility in the mainland." He looks at me with such sincerity. "I'd like you to become that angel."