10. Order

"... So what's the next test?" I ask, trying to forget the words she uttered ... 'The Demon Prince.'

"You've proved yourself enough, it was an unprecedented situation, yet you handled it well," father responds, placing his hand on my shoulder. 

"Is this why you wanted a new Angel soldier? Because of this whole situation?" 

"Precisely," he answers. "We've neglected the mortal world for too long that the chaos of Hell managed to grow around here. I thought with an active Government in Hell things would get better, but it only seems to grow worse."

The topic of talking about the people I've grown to known in Hell was something I maneuvered around. But it almost seems inescapable because of my new job, yet I can't even reveal that 'he' might be responsible for this. "You-you must've been in contact with the Ruler of Hell?"

"I have been sending my concerns through a Prophet. I have yet to receive a message back," he tells me. "It makes me wonder if Jenx's silence is a message itself."

That isn't in her character at all. She is very cunning in a sense, but wouldn't this issue be of concern to Hell itself? These Satanic rituals will allow Demons to leave Hell, and it will hurt many people. And she only allows violence if it's absolutely necessary. 

"Angels maintain peace through diplomacy, but we need to attack head on. We Angels must spread hope. We must answer their prayers."

I hesitate, looking at my palm and the dull silver that surrounds it. "You really think I'm ready for that?"

Father lowers my hand and stares firmly in my eyes. "Yes."

His words of approval was enough for me to restore confidence, not only in my abilities, but myself. But although I felt relief, I could see my past feelings reflect on my aura still. 

The Demon Prince.

That thought did not incite a strong reaction. Someone who I loved and was betrayed by, and I felt nothing now that his face flickered in my mind. It had surprised me.

_________________________________

I never rested. I always took missions because time was of the essence in the mortal world. It made my blood pump with excitement and my Angel powers were almost fully developed.

During my work, gradually my memory of him would turn into a blur. 

"I believe it is time for a day off," Father tells me. "You have exhausted yourself for the past 14 spiritual years."

I lay on my own cloud, looking up nonchalantly to my father demanding I take a break. "I'm the only field Angel and the issue with the satanic cults aren't going to stop are they?"

"Well, Jenx accepted the offer to talk and they are holding a summit tomorrow." He explains. "It should lessen the load of work you have to do."

"Greaaat." I mutter sarcastically. "The Ruler of Hell is finally addressing the big fucking issue of the Satanic cults."

"Would you not curse here? It's Heaven."

I roll my eyes. "It's not like my aura will get any brighter if I don't."

"Anyways," he says. "I'd like you to join me. You've experienced it all first hand, we'd like you to describe what it's like. Further communicate that it's a pressing issue."

" ... Where is it?"

"Hell."

I'd rather face 100 demons in combat then to sink into the land of Hell. To believe that the young me would do everything to stay near the eternal flames of Hell.

"No thanks," I refuse.

"The Demon Prince won't be there, if you're worried about seeing him."

"It's not that," I reply. "And besides, can't you just use the reports I've written after every mission? Just show them to her, I'm sure my presence will be distracting to her."

"You're quite right." Father stands at the edge of the cloud. "Take a day off tomorrow, okay?" Then he flies off.

I walk back into my cottage and open up a nice bottle of-some alcoholic drink from the mortal world and chug  down some wine.

I lay back on the couch. I couldn't possibly take a day off, it wouldn't feel as good or relaxing, I would just feel empty. My whole life is now devoted to this work but besides this work, I am nothing. I'm forced to look at myself as an individual, as an angel, as a being ... but I see nothing. No soul. No heart. Just a being with a dirtied aura.

The only thing that helps me pass these lonely times is a glass, no, a bottle of wine. Perhaps, tonight I can go a little wild ... in celebration of the useless Kingdom of Hell finally making an attempt to help us purge the Satanic Cults.

Tomorrow morning had come. Buzzing in my head. Stomach screaming. You would think us spiritual beings were built with a better tolerance than mortals, but I guess we are all cursed with a similar type of pain with them.

I was tempted to light the fire in the cottage, so I could hear the whispers of the mortals prayers, but, it was my day off.

Until the buzzing in my head grew more intense that my migraine messed my head into mush. Words echoing, "Ms. Elsa, I request your attendance to the summit. Please make your way over to Hell. Now."

Was that ...? Telepathically communicating with me ...?

"Also please ensure you come. Or else any words spoken from the Head of the Angel Council will be ignored."

Once she finished the buzzing stopped, but I was sore from the pain. I had no choice to attend to this summit in Hell because of her.

What a bitch.

____________________________

A/N

Wow an update after 3 months??? 

I will not make any promises in terms of update frequency, but I DO promise that I will finish this series even if it takes me another year or so.

Thank you to everyone still reading :))