9. Prudence

I  found myself in the transitional world of the tech age. In the bustling streets of an unknown city and with no tools that could possibly assist me in navigating this 'boy'.

There were so many people, especially since I spawned on a strip of restaurants. I have no over word but to describe it as overwhelming, since I--I guess I'm alone now with no shield. 

But there was no time to waste.

I assume that this boy would be vulnerable to these 'threats', so I have to use my angelic abilities to detect these. I align myself with God to recharge my power, since there was so many stimuli, I had to try and expand my aura to cover this whole district. With my palms tightly together, I closed my eyes and felt the electricity from my hands cover the whole vicinity of my body. 

My presence expands and felt every soul my aura touch as a light tickle or itch depending on their mood. But the disturbances I catch would be a nauseating pulse.

I felt few pulses, in which I could pinpoint the area. I flew above the people in this dirty, polluted air and land at the nearest disturbance I detected.

I spot a malevolent spirit wandering the streets, but no 'boy'. I quickly purify the spirit and move on so I ensure that this boy doesn't descend into deeper darkness.

After running into a few mad spirits, I land into some messy apartment witch etched, stained yellow walls and a hard, cold floor that looks like someone ripped the carpet. The kitchen is completely unusable, this must've been residence for some squatters not actual real people. Even those that suffer from poverty can't live here, it's too dangerous.

There was this chatter in the other room and a muffled scream. I immediately barge in and found three people; a woman and two men who seem like they rubbed themselves in dirt. A small figure was in the middle, a delicate body of a small boy whose head was covered with a black bag. He wriggled from the rope tied tightly around him and the wooden chair. 

The woman whose hair was brown and fried that it stood up, the wrinkles on her skin were deep that I'd probably mistaken her age significantly. 

"There's an Angel here," the woman said and the attention of the men were drawn from the child to her. She then addressed me seriously. "We didn't summon you. What do you want?"

I sense no demonic presence, so there was no possession involved. This woman must have a spiritual eye, or else she wouldn't of been able to detect me. 

I didn't know what to do. Angels dealt with spiritual realm issues, but they're just humans performing a heinous act ... I don't know what the next action. All my learning with banishing demons and purifying spirits ... how do I deal with mortal beings? This is beyond my jurisdiction.

"What are you doing to that child?" I asked. "L-let him go."

A sick smile grows on the woman's face, the yellow stained teeth grinding against each other. "A ritual for the new world order."

"Ritual?"

"That child is special. He'll be a sacrifice for the new world order ..."

The child screams louder. I grow angrier. "Just what is this new world order that would compel you to sacrifice an innocent child?!"

"One that would unite the major kingdoms. The mortal world, Heaven and Hell will interlock."

"Just who came up with that nonsense?!"

"The Demon Prince."

Taken aback, I trembled. My aura grew slightly darker and I panic over this shift in my body.  "... Whoever led you to do this, I don't care. You are wrong and deserve divine punishment."

Annoyed, the woman orders the others, "Kill the boy and get onto the ritual already. We can't kill an Angel by ourselves."

They're trying to summon a demon and let them loose in the mortal world.

Us Angels, we can't touch mortals the way other mortals do and they can't touch us. The only way was that potion, but I'm dry in the equipment department.

I place my hands in the prayer position and tightly close my eyes, I halt their souls. The people aren't completely frozen but it's as if they are fighting against someone holding them back and resisting. I can feel my spiritual cords connected to them weakening and they are starting to gain mobility. 

I am not used to dealing with three mortal souls at once. Before they suddenly move, I spirit contact all three of them. 

I had been overwhelmed with all their significant memories. But I found myself in the bare room with the woman.

"You can live a pure life, it's not too late."

"I tried that Angel!" she shouted. "I tried that! I tried that! I want to die! I want to die! Just kill me!"

"I ... I can't do that."

The woman clawed at me, jumping at me and trying to rip out my hair. She felt me, and I felt her hurting me--since we were in a sort of spiritual place and I was speaking not to a physical body ... but her soul. 

She scratched me and choked me.

There is no light in her eyes ... I wondered what would happen if I purified her now ... as she is a soul. I gently placed my hands on her cheeks and light that stem from my fingertips leaked to her face, exposing her to the pure white light.

Then I had suddenly spawned to the next spirit and they attacked me and I just purified their soul.

As I open my eyes, I saw their bodies ... they seem the same. But when they all look at each other they said nothing. The woman also acknowledged me but then soon ignored my presence and they walk out of the room like zombies--no like machines.

I was in a daze for a moment and then I tend to the boy who was also in a daze when the room went quiet. Since, I could not interact with things the same way in the mortal world, I had to use my energy manipulation so things had effect. I concentrate really hard with loosening the rope and taking the bag off his head, which was difficult since I only just spirit contacted three mortals. 

Once he freed himself with a bit of help, I give him an angelic touch which ripples his soul as sort of an assurance that everything is okay. 

"Thank you." he said.

Father abruptly makes himself visible to me. "Congratulations. You passed."

I did not feel my achievement the way he wanted me to. "What on heavens was that?!"

"A Satanic cult. They've been growing exceedingly and it's been a big problem."

"Do you think it's appropriate to interfere with mortals? I thought we did spiritual work!"

"Angels were designed to help mortals."

"Yeah!" I exclaim. "By purifying bad spirits and getting rid of demons."

"They were going to summon a demon, Elsa."

"... Then what happened to those mortals?"

"You did well dealing with them, you never got explicit instructions on how to deal with mortals so I'm impressed."

"But they were ... strange."

"That's because you purged the evil, and since they've been defined by their evil ... they don't know who they are anymore. That's why they seem soulless."

"It's like I killed them."

"You didn't. Anyway, it's for the best. We can't have evil like that roaming around ..."