Chapter 5 : Sick Day

" Plan my funeral Nessa. Tell my mother that I love her dearly." I wiped my nose with the balled up tissue that was in my hand. " Is the cold that bad?" She asked? I rolled over onto my side facing her. "Yes." I replied. She chuckled and continued to scroll through her phone.

" You shouldn't of have danced around in the rain then." He scolded. I smiled and resting my face on my hands. "It was fun though. It was fun with Kasen." I answered. She rolled her eyes. "Of course it was." She mumbled. I clicked my tongue, turning to face the ceiling. " Don't get any ideas Nessa." I said. 

 She chuckled. " How am I supposed to not get any ideas. " I giggled. " You two are cute together." She stated. I sat up again. " Really?" I asked in excitement. She smiled in a mischievous manner. She knew something that I didn't. " Are you hiding something from me?" I ask carefully. She shook her head slowly.

"Nessa..." I warn. She smiles and hides her face behind her phone. She sighs and then puts her phone down. " Look, this person had trusted me with their secrets. And I won't be able to tell you." She spoke. I groaned and covered myself with the duvet, grabbing the book that was on the bed. 

" Are you seriously gonna read?" She asked in a surprised manner. " Reading is the cure to my illness." I answered smartly, flipping to the page with the folded corner. " Fine," She sighed, putting her phone away. " I'll go order something? Pizza? Chinese? " She requested. I thought about it for a moment, but didn't divert all my attention to her. 

" Pizza." I responded. Mom was at the hospital because of an emergency, since she worked as a nurse. She put the responsibility of taking care of me on Nessa. " Make sure she eats good." Mom had instructed. " No electronics other than television and call me if there's something really wrong." She stopped in her tracks looking Nessa dead in the eyes. 

" Most importantly, no boys." I shrugged my shoulders. Who would want to come to my place? Nessa groaned. " Please, Ms. Lennington." She begged. Mom Picked up an apple, taking a bite. " No means no. And that's it. End of discussion. " 

" I'm not a baby mom. I'm sixteen now." I said, pointing out the obvious. She sighed, heading out the door. " You're sixteen but don't act like it. Love you!" She yelled from behind her, shutting the exit. Nessa had just laughed. I told her to shut up. 

And now we were breaking all the rules. Eating junk and watching a million episodes of The 100 together. Chips, pop, candy. You name it, we had it all in our stomachs. The room was littered with candy wrappers and my laptop rested on the floor where a bunch of blankets and pillows were messily thrown. 

Nessa put on her coat, leaving the house with a twenty in her hands. I sighed, putting down my book. Don't get me wrong, Boy Meets Boy was a good book, it just consisted of a few dry chapters. I picked up my phone. No notifications, as usual. I went into my contacts, click on Kasen's. It rang a few times, and then he picked up.

" Hey." I could tell that he was smiling. " Hi." I answered. " Why weren't you here today?" He asked. I quickly thought of an excuse. " Mom wasn't feeling too well." I lied. He gave me a "Mhm." I played around with my duvet. Why was it so awkward today? Me and Kase talked for hours without any hesitation, but today felt weird. 

" Nessa came over. She went to go get pizza since mom isn't here." I tried to spark a conversation. There was a moment of silence. " Wasn't your mom sick or something?" He questioned carefully. I gulped and mentally cursed to myself. If I had to get caught, it should've been a bit later in the conversation. 

" Um, yeah. She just left for work." I finished talking but soon realized that I didn't sound very convincing. " Tell me the truth." Kasen demanded. Even when he was trying to be angry his voice was all small and cute. I sighed into the call and rubbed my forehead with my hand. " I'm just a little bit sick from being out in the cold yesterday." 

The main reason I didn't want to tell him this was because he always felt guilty about everything. Even if he nudged me or something. And I was worried that he would stress himself out about the fact that he made me dance around in the rain. I heard his keys jangle and the door open. " No, wait, Kasen, it's fine." I rambled. 

I bet he was shaking his head. " I don't care." He said. I sighed and closed my eyes, resting the back of my head on the headboard. " Nessa's over?" He asked. I said yes, my eyes still closed. " Hate to break it to you, but she will not be able to take care of you." I thought about it for a moment, looking at the disastrous state of my room. He was right. 

" Fine." I mumbled. But secretly, I was happy that he was coming over. I mean, Kase was just a friend, nothing could go wrong with him. He was never not nice.However, I remember in middle school, he was a jerk. But he changed. Everyone was a jerk in middle school. I remember him making fun of me all the time.

I haven't forgiven him fully, but it's fine. 

In about half an hour, the doorbell rang. I opened it and saw that there was Kase, wearing a plain black shirt with grey sweatpants. He was carrying a shopping bag, a box of chocolate was peeking out. I smiled and he looked at me. His smile was wide today and his hair was messy, but cute looking. 

Oh fun it was to break rules. 

***

Hello 💛

Why do i feel like i finished this rlly quick? Probably cuz my other chapters take around 3 days and this one took two lol. but i hope yall like it! 

Thank you so much for reading!