Chapter 1

Amy Rose walked through town, handing out invites to a "Welcome Home" party she was holding for herself. She recently just returned home from a year long trip around the world, and was now dying to see everyone. She had invites for everyone, and was now approaching the house of Rouge the bat. This was Amy's last invite she could give in person. She had one other invite, but the pink hedgehog was going to need Rouge's help for it. Amy knocked on the bat's door, with a small smile on her face. Rouge and her had a little rivalry when she was younger, but after Amy turned 17, her and Rouge had become good friends, and Amy often went to Rouge when it came to fashion.

    "Just a minute, hon," Amy heard the bat on the other side of the door. After some time of waiting, a click came from the door, and the door swung open.

    "Amy!" before said girl had time to react, she was caught in a bear hug from the bat. This was probably the fifth time today someone was trying to squeeze the life out of her. "What brings you back in sugar? I thought you'd call before a visit."

    "Heh," Amy took a deep breath after finally being released from the hug. Who knew treasure hunting would build up muscle like that. "Actually I wanted it to be a surprise. I was hoping to have a party over at my house, and I didn't want you guys beating me to the punch. I came to invite you."

    "Oh, I'd love to Ames," Rouge took the invitation, which was decorated in pink in gold colors, and had the time of the party. "Seven tonight huh? I'll be there for sure Amy."

    "Oh and Rouge," Amy sheepishly rubbed her arm, "Can you see if Shadow would want to come too? I would invite him personally, but I haven't the faintest idea where he lives."

    Rouge thought for a moment. Shadow wasn't really into the whole party thing. He wasn't at Amy's "Going Away" party for more than a few minutes, before Sonic 'accidentally' spilled his drink on him.

    "I'll tell you what hon. I'll ask Edge-Head if he'd want to come. But don't be disappointed if he doesn't show up, or if he wants the blue blur to stay as far away from him as possible. You remembered what happened last time right?"

    Oh, Amy remembered. It took the combined strength of everyone to pry Shadow off of Sonic that night. "Yeah, that won't be a problem."

    "Great," Rouge was about to walk off, but curiosity had gotten the best of the treasure hunter, "So, why are you wanting Shady at your party? I didn't know you two were best of friends."

    A streak of red from embarrassment crossed the pink hedgehogs face, "Oh I just want to see him again. It wouldn't be fair to invite everyone but him."

    "Uh huh," Rouge just looked at Amy, reading her face like it was a fine jewel, "Well in that case, I'll definitely make sure Shadow is there." Rouge gave Amy a wink as she walked back into her house. The pink hedgehog's face just grew even more red as she walked away to get started on the party.

     Amy glanced at her watch as she finished the decorating. "Phew, just in time. Everyone should be getting here soon." Amy ran over to the door, anxious for the party guests. Mostly, she was anxious to see Shadow. Before Amy had left for her trip, he was very talkative with her, or, as talkative as Shadow could be with someone. But it was more than usual, and Amy really got to know him during that time. For instance, Shadow is roughly 21, if he ignored the 50 years he was frozen, his favorite color was green, but also liked the shade of blue that Maria's favorite dress was. And Shadow also enjoyed various fruits. But the big thing that stuck out to Amy though, was that Shadow excluded himself from the others, mostly out of his depression, and not really fitting in with the others.

    'It's up to me to make him feel more accepted.' Amy thought, as she greeted Tails, Knuckles, and Cream.

    "Hi guys" Amy said warmly, welcoming them inside, "You seem to be the first ones here, so make yourself at home in the living room."

    "Thanks Amy," Cream spoke up, "Wow, you really went all out with the decorations."

    Amy rubbed the back of her head, "I just wanted to throw the best party I can for all my friends now that I'm back. Where is Sonic? I expected him with you guys."

    Tail's looked over to Knuckles, "I'm sorry Amy, but Sonic couldn't make it."

    "Said something about Eggman," Knuckles chimed in, "I think he wanted to stay on patrol, just in case Egg-Head got any funny ideas."

    "Oh okay," Amy forced a smile onto her face, but she felt like she was punched in the gut. While she had stopped chasing after Sonic and his love a long time ago, she still felt hurt that he'd rather roam the streets, than come to her party.

    'If Sonic is going to be that way, then I doubt Shadow will be here. Then again, Rouge said she'd make sure he came, so maybe I'll have a chance of seeing him at least.'

    Rouge, Silver, and Blaze arrived a few minutes after, and they were greeted all the same, with Amy keeping Rouge back to talk to her.

    "Where's Shadow?"

    "Oh don't worry hon," Rouge smiled, "I told Shady that you REALLY wanted him to be at this party, and that you were DYING to see him again."

    "WHY WOULD YOU TELL HIM ALL THAT!?" Amy's face got flustered at the thought of how Shadow would react to that.

    "Oh relax," Rouge tried to fight back the tears of laughter, "I didn't actually say all that. I just told Shadow that you wanted him to come over to your party. He said he will try to stop by for a few minutes after he takes care of some business."

    "Great!" Amy said, jumping in excitement. 'At least Shadow's making an attempt. More than I can say for Sonic.' Amy turned her attention back to Rouge as she walked into the party.

    "There's more soda in the fridge if you guys need it!" She yelled into the house after Rouge walked out of sight. But as Amy was about to close her door, a dark husky voice rung into her ears.

    "Hello Ms. Rose."

    Amy turned around to see Shadow walking up the final step of her porch, holding a black box, with pink ribbons wrapped around it.

    "Shadow!" Amy said, actually surprised he was there that fast, "You know you didn't need to bring a gift right? No one else did."

    Shadow just looked at Amy, handing her the gift, "I'm aware, but that was the point." Amy blushed slightly as she opened the gift gently, not wanting to damage the box or ribbons.

    "Oh Shadow, it's beautiful!" Amy pulled out a glass rose, "Where did you get this? This looks like it was made out of diamonds."

    Shadow's face remained in it's neutral state, but his eyes flashed with a since of pride, "Oh, it was just some business I had to handle. And, it is."

    Amy's face turned a deep red as she went to give Shadow a hug, but was cut short when Shadow's communicator went off.

    "I'm sorry Ms. Rose," Shadow apologized, answering it. Without replying to whoever was on the other side of the call, he clicked off the communicator and looked back to Amy, "I have to go. G.U.N. needs me on a mission tonight." Amy couldn't tell for sure, but she thought she heard a hint of sadness in his tone.

    "Oh...Okay. Will you try to come back to the party?" Amy clutched the diamond rose against her chest, it's brilliant pink matching her own.

    "I can't promise I'll make it back here before the end of the night," Shadow pulled out his green Chaos Emerald and began to warp away, "But I promise to talk later." And with that, he was gone.