Chapter 5

Shadow soon found himself between everyone from the night before, except for Sonic, for obvious reasons. Shadow hated having all these people near him like this. He didn't mind Rouge, Omega, and Amy at this point. But when you add on the fox boy and the echidna, the dark hedgehog's lack of social skills really became present. So he just tried to ignore them, and focus on the crazy thoughts and events that have happened in the past 24 hours. But that was cut off by the yellow fox, who turned his attention to Shadow.

    "You know Shadow, I could use some help in my laboratory. I don't know if I could pay you as well as G.U.N. did, but I can promise a payment every week if you helped me out."

    "What would you have me do?" Shadow questioned Tails. The boy was a genius, so surely anything that he would require Shadow to do, the fox could just make a machine that could help out just as well.

    "Honestly," Tails took another bite of his food, "It would just be odds and ends. Maybe I'll have you help move some machinery around one day, the next, you could be helping test out some combat robots. But if you want to work for me, I can make a schedule you can follow, and I'll feed you on the days your over helping out."

    "Why couldn't you just build a robot to help, or even have the echidna help out? Why me specifically?" Shadow asked, still confused.

    "Knuckles has to guard the Master Emerald and wont be able to help out all the time," Tails finished his food, and had turned to face the ebony hedgehog, "And after Amy and Rouge told me everything, I couldn't just let you fend for yourself. We are all friends here. And what are friends for if they don't help out each other?"

    Shadow thought about what tails said for a moment, before he reluctantly nodded his head. 'Sooner or later, I will need the cash.' The dark hedgehog then turned and looked around the table, and noticed everyone had their eyes on him, and big smiles on their face. "W..why are you all looking at me like that?"

    "I think this is cause for a group hug!" Rouge yelled out, lunging at Shadow from across the table, joined shortly afterward by everyone else.

    "Get the hell off me!" Shadow tried to get out of the cluster of bodies surrounding him, but gave up as soon as Amy had a hold of him. 'Why does life hate me?'

    Some time later, after everyone but Amy left, Shadow was getting all his possessions packed, which really wasn't that much. The bundle of books Shadow has already read over a few times, a couple of pairs of pants, a jacket, and a stash of money he had tapped to the ceiling of his bedroom closet.

    "Rose," Shadow walked over to the pink hedgehog who was now sitting on the office chair, since the bed was still pretty bloody from the night before, "Since I'm going to be living at your location for a while, I am willing to pay you rent for allowing me to stay there. It's the least I can do."

    "You don't have to Shadow," Amy turned her head in playful defiance. In all reality, she was surprised the dark hedgehog would even offer.

    "Yeah," Shadow placed a bundle of 100 dollar bills on her head, "but that's the point."

    Amy reached up slowly, keeping her eyes on Shadow, who now had a smirk on his face. The pink hedgehog then began to count the money. "What the hell Shadow? This is 1500 dollars!"

    Shadow stashed the rest of his money into his pants pocket, "Yeah, I figured that should cover the first months rent."

    "This covers the first 5 months!" Amy yelled out of shock. "Why do you just randomly have this much money lying around?"

    "I don't really need that much," Shadow turned his attention back to the closet, making sure he didn't forget anything. "I made sure I had enough for food, and other essentials. Everything else was basically just in case of an emergency."

    There was silent after that. Shadow had found a few stray bills laying around, and this point, it got Amy looking. After a few minutes of looking, Amy gave up and turned back to the ebony hedgehog, who found another one of his secret stashed behind the dresser. 'At least he isn't going to need money any time soon. Maybe Tails' offer wasn't really needed.'

    "So," Amy sat up, and began looking over the bloody bandages that Shadow was still dressed in, "How are you feeling?"

    "I'm feeling fine." Shadow stood back up, stuffing the new bundle of bills into his pocket, "In fact..."

    Shadow began to unravel the bandages. As the wrapping landed on the ground, Amy could tell his body was fully healed. You couldn't even tell he was injured, besides for the blood still on his fur.

    "Wait," Amy walked over to Shadow and began to inspect his body, looking for any bullet wounds, "Where did all the injuries go?"

    Shadow felt his cheek get warm as the pink hedgehog looked him over. "I'm a fast healer."

    "I'd say!" Amy eyes followed up the dark hedgehogs left arm, only for Shadow to grab her by the hand gently and pull her in close.

    "Are you done yet?" Amy looked up at Shadow, who was extremely close. Way closer than the night before.

    "Maybe," Amy gave Shadow a playful smile. She found she could trust the ebony hedgehog last night, so she wanted to have fun with him a little, and hopefully get him out of his shell.

    "Oh," Shadow began to run his hand up her back gently, giving her the same playful smile, "Is that right?"

    'Wow that was extremely easy.' Amy thought as she blushed. Shadow not only knew the game she was playing, but was also ready to play it himself.

    "Hah..." Amy stepped back out of Shadow's hold, "You win, this time."

    The dark hedgehog just smiled a grin of victory, although his face was beat red. He actually didn't want to let go. Her touch felt amazing against him, but he wanted to respect her, and he let her back away, "I'd advice not playing that game with me, unless you intend to finish it."

    "Heh..." Amy feigned a cocky attitude, placing her fists on her hips, but she was actually imagining what Shadow meant, which made her blush even darker. "You name the time and the place, and we will see, Shady!"

    "Hm." Shadow was enjoying this. He enjoyed seeing this feisty side of Amy. He loved being a part of it. His smile grew, and soon he was laughing, which understandably threw Amy off a little. She never heard him laugh like this before.

    "Shadow..." Amy put her hand on his arm cautiously, "Are you okay?"

    The dark hedgehog looked at her with a look of pure joy on his face, "I'm great, Amy. I just... I haven't felt this way in such a long time. You're making me feel things I haven't felt in years. And I just want to thank you for that." Shadow grabbed Amy, and pulled her into a hug. The pink hedgehog was speechless. She has never seen him like this. Laughing, smiling.... JOY! He's always been depressed. After a moment of the two embracing each other, Shadow finally released her.

    "Uh hmm," Shadow cleared his throat and his normal neutral look was back on his face, "I'm sorry Ms. Rose."

    "No," Amy grabbed his hand, "Don't be sorry. I loved seeing you like that."

    The two just looked at each other. Shadow didn't want to leave, but he knew that they had to go soon. Rouge was probably telling the commander of G.U.N. that he was dead. So they grabbed Shadow's bags, and made their way out, leaving nothing behind.