Chapter 4

Shadow slowly opened his eyes, his head aching. The small amount of light that peaked through his window stopped right on his open eyes. Shadow pushed himself up and started looking around. 'I'm back in my room.'

He placed his hand over his face, the events of last night slowly coming back to him. Telling Rouge he was leaving G.U.N., the conflict with Sonic, and Amy revealing her feelings for Shadow.

"Amy!" Shadow shot up from his bed at the realization that he didn't know where the pink hedgehog was or if she was okay.

"Calm done hon," the ebony hedgehog turned to see Rouge was sitting on his office chair next to the bed, "Amy is fine. She just went out to get some breakfast, and will be back any moment. And before you ask, she didn't go alone. I had Omega go with her to make sure Sonic didn't try anything."

"How long have I been out?" Shadow began to calm down. He finally felt his guard drop, and as he did, he noticed the carpet underneath his feet. Someone took his shoes off.

"All night," Rouge smiled at the dark hedgehog. "You know, it was really cute last night. Amy didn't leave your side at all. She feel asleep cuddling you."

"WHAT!?" Shadow beamed a look at Rouge, his face felt like it was on fire.

"Hahaha!" Rouge busted out laughing, "I'm joking Shady. The look on your face is priceless. She actually feel asleep on the side of the bed. You can still kind of see where she had her head." She pointed to a small spot on the edge of the bed where Amy laid her head. The indent on the comforter still lingering.

Shadow stood in silence, unsure of how to feel. Amy did that for him? 'I need to repay her.'

"Rouge, have you told G.U.N. about my decision to leave yet?"

"Not yet," the bat looked at Shadow, hoping that he had changed his mind, "Please tell me you aren't leaving."

Shadow shook his head, "No, I'm still leaving. But I have thought about it. I need to disappear for a while. G.U.N. will surely not let me go willingly, and they will stop at nothing to get their most prized agent back. So..." the ebony hedgehog took out his communicator, "as far as G.U.N. is concerned, I died due to my injuries last night." Shadow then crushed the comm in between his fingers.

"But Shadow," Rouge watched as pieces of the communicator fell to the floor, "They are still going to want a body, and they will inspect your apartment. What am I going to tell G.U.N.? And where are you going to go?"

"Tell them that I made Omega cremated me once I pasted. And as for where I'll go, I'll figure out something."

"That isn't good enough!" Rouge yelled at Shadow. He was throwing away everything that he spend years building up, and the treasure hunter couldn't stand the thought of her best friend living out on the streets.

"What isn't good enough?" A quiet voice came from the door way as Amy walked through, holding a few bags of food for the group.

"Don't concern yourself with it, my Rose." Shadow walked up to the pink hedgehog, taking one of the bags, "I wont risk you getting involved with G.U.N."

Amy didn't accept that answer and turned to Rouge, "What is he talking about?"

Shadow shot a look at Rouge, but was again ignored, "Oh, Edge-Head here wants to leave G.U.N. and have me tell them he past from his injuries during the night. But he has no plan after that. G.U.N. will want a body, and they will take this apartment back. He will be living on the streets, and be on the run."

Amy shot a look at Shadow, who was now munching on his breakfast, trying to ignore the conversation.

"Shadow."

"This is a good egg sandwich, Amy. Where did you get it?"

"Shadow!"

"Is that bacon?"

"SHADOW!" Amy ripped the sandwich out of the ebony hedgehog's hand, "I wont let you do this to yourself. Look, I know you want to leave G.U.N. and I want you to as well, but I wont let you go homeless or jobless."

"Fine," Shadow snatched his sandwich back, "Then what do you purpose then, Ms. Rose?" Amy thought for a moment, until Rouge jumped in between them.

"Oh oh! I know what Shady could do!" Both Amy and Shadow looked at the bat, both having a hint of suspension. But Shadow chose to ignore this, and go back to eating his breakfast.

"Shadow could move in with you until this all blows over!" Rouge had a massive grin on her face, and was obviously proud of her idea. Amy's face was bright red, almost matching her quills. And Shadow nearly crushed his sandwich out of shock, and his face had the same shade of red plastered on his face.

"Excuse you." The ebony hedgehog swallowed the last bite of food he took, and stared daggers at Rouge.

"Just hear me out your two," Rouged raised her hands defensively, "In all my time working for G.U.N., I've seen all the records they keep of people. Me, Shadow, Omega, Sonic, Tails, but no file exists for Amy."

"Which means?" Amy cutting in, the red on her face still there.

"Which means, they don't know you exist, and your house will be the last place G.U.N. will look for the Edge-King here."

Shadow had finished what was left of his food while Rouge explained her crazy idea. His face was beginning to look like the red streaks across his body. This had to be the bats craziest plan yet, but somehow, Shadow didn't hate the idea entirely.

"Okay," Amy raise her hand to her chin and thought about it, "I guess I do have a few spare rooms that I could let Shadow use. And it would mean I'd get to see him more often."

"But I'm worried that things will get awkward," Shadow chimed in, "And I don't want...us...ending before it began. And I couldn't just intrude on you like that."

Amy's eyes lite with a green glow of determination. "Shadow, I know it will be a little weird at first, but it will give us a chance to see each other at their best and worst. I have faith that if we are meant to be, we can pull threw this. And you wont be intruding. I promise."

"Well it still leaves me without a job." Shadow looked down at the now smiling Amy. She was starting to like Rouge's plan.

"We will burn that bridge when we get to it." Amy grabbed the dark hedgehogs hand, "But how about we go to the kitchen and enjoy our food. I bet everyone is starving."

"Wait! Everyone?"