Chapter 8

Shadow looked at his watch as he arrived at Tails' workshop. 9:29 A.M. Tails had contacted Amy last night, instructing Shadow to be here today, mostly just to get his bearings on the location and an idea about what he'd be doing while working for the little fox boy. Well, Tails wasn't a kid anymore. He was 15 now. And all the work he had been doing on his machines and robots really showed. Tails was built somewhat well. He had obvious muscles on his arms. It wasn't budging or anything, but compared to how he was when he was a kid, he was exceptionally built. Everyone was just glad he hadn't let all the looks go to his head.

Shadow knocked on a large metallic door of the workshop, and it quickly opened. Then a screen lit up next to the large entrance, "Hi Shadow!"

Tails was on the screen with a big smile on his face, which was covered in oil and grease, "Just come on in, and follow the stairs down. I'll meet you there."

Shadow nodded as he walked in, and the door closed behind him. He then found the stairs and began descending. 'The fox boy's shop is much bigger than I thought it be. I was expecting a garage or something along those lines.' The dark hedgehog became so lost in thought, that when he came to the bottom of the stairs, Tails almost made him jump from surprise.

"I'm glad you could make it Shadow." Tails extended his hand, and Shadow mirrored the response.

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity." Shadow replied as the two shock hands. "I'm sorry, but I thought your laboratory wasn't going to be quiet so... impressive."

"Haha," Tails chuckled as he turned around and began to walk towards a large desk, "Don't worry about it. It wasn't like this at all when I was younger. But over the years..." Tails flipped on a switch, that in turn, made lights in the facility to flash to life, revealing how large the workshop really was, "... I've expanded my work station a lot."

Shadow tried to remain stone faced, but the surprise couldn't help but creep up. After a few moments of awe, Shadow recomposed himself, and brought his attention back to the two-tailed fox, who was still admiring his work.

"So what do you want me to do today?"

Tails looked over to Shadow, who had dressed himself in a pair of torn up jeans, and a white tank top. "Well today I'm just going to have you look around. I'll explain more about what we will be doing, and also about payment as we go. But for now..." Tails reached into a pocket on his overalls, "...I think this will cover your first week here." The twin tailed fox held out a Chaos Emerald to Shadow, who was even more shocked at this point.

"Wait!" Shadow looked at the emerald, and then back at the smiling fox, "Why are you just giving me this?"

"Well," Tails smile grew, "When me and Amy were talking last night, she told me that you have a bunch of money left over from your time with G.U.N. and that you had said that you were covered for a while. And also that you taught her a little about Chaos Control. Amy said she's really good at it."

"Yeah..." Shadow's face glowed a slight red, remembering how 'good' Amy was at Chaos Control. "She has some control over time, and has already gotten a hold of teleportation."

"But" The dark hedgehog eyes narrowed slightly back at the emerald in Tails' hand, "I thought you need the emeralds for some of your machines?"

"I used to," Tails began scratching a spot behind his ear, getting even more oil and grease in his hair, "But I've recently found a safer option for energy source. I no longer need to rely on the emeralds to power some of my stronger creations."

Shadow slowly grabbed the gem in Tails' hand, "Well, I appreciate this. I'm sure Amy will as well, seeing as how she wont have to take my emerald anymore."