CHAPTER 1

“Splash…….”

“Ahh…….”

Her very own sister shoved her off the bridge, sending her plummeting into the river. Now, as she sank into the depths, a single question echoed in her mind: Why did she betray me like this? Why?

In the blink of an eye, before she could comprehend the danger or seek assistance, her head struck a solid rock, sending her senses reeling, and thereafter, memory slipped away like sand through her fingers.

"Ugh, that stings."

Struggling to pry her eyes open, a sharp burst of light jabbed at her, resisting any attempt to unveil her surroundings. Her head pulsed with an intense ache, but even through the pain, she managed to squint and found herself surrounded by an overwhelming sea of white.

'Is this heaven?'

'No, it isn't. The acrid scent of disinfectant that engulfed my senses brought the realization crashing down – I'm not in heaven; I'm in a hospital.'

“Sarah, are you ok, how are you feeling now?”

A familiar voice broke through, and she turned to see Stefan standing there. Just the night before, she harbored disdain for him, but now, his genuine concern shone through his eyes, revealing a side she hadn't noticed until then.

Struggling to rise, Sarah found support in Stefan.

"Sarah, I understand you're hurt, but you need to quicken your pace. Ashley might step in and marry your fiancé if you delay," Stefan urged.

Sarah's expression darkened as Stefan brought up Ashley. A slideshow of flashbacks played before her eyes, vividly recalling every deceitful deed committed by Ashley.

"Sarah, are you tuned in?"

Stefan's voice reached out to her again. Sarah acknowledged that Stefan was advocating for her well-being, but she remained still. Every twist of her life's narrative so far pointed back to Ashley, her very own half-sister.

For the first time, Sarah's clever instincts and foresight faltered, leaving her blindsided by the true nature of her sister. The one who skillfully feigned care and affection, appearing innocent to the world, had eluded her perception.

Upon seeing her immobility, Stefan summoned a nurse to provide Sarah with a set of clothes, instructing her to change out of the hospital gown for mobility.

"No, Mr. Stefan Walter, Miss Sarah is not stable. I cannot discharge her hastily," the doctor asserted, refusing to sign Sarah's discharge papers. Stefan, however, remained unmoved.

"I couldn't care less about your opinion; I'm taking her, and nobody can interfere," Stefan declared with fury, motioning to a group of bodyguards behind him. They quickly advanced, ready to escort Miss Sarah out of the hospital against medical advice.

‘I won't let her lose a single minute in this hospital. She's in this situation because of me. If I hadn't barged into her life, trying to sow discord between Sarah and her boyfriend Ronald Walter, she wouldn't be in this state.’

‘I was the one who entered their lives, feigning madness, seeking vengeance against Ronald and his father for the death of my Valerie. In my pursuit of revenge, I manipulated Ashley, enlisting her aid to break Sarah and Ronald apart.'

‘Despite my crafty plotting, Sarah made me realize my mistake and help me mend my ways, then it’s my responsibility to make her reach at her marriage canopy on time.’

"Boss, Miss Sarah is all set," Stefan's assistant informed him, and he entered Sarah's ward.

Even after changing, Sarah's head was still bandaged, and she stumbled while walking. Stefan noticed this, leaning in to carefully lift Sarah into his arms.

Sarah found Stefan's actions unsettling, but her lack of resistance hinted at the numbness of her emotions. The betrayal by her sister had left her heartbroken and emotionally drained.

Stefan directed Sarah to the copilot's seat in his Rolls Royce, taking the wheel himself and signaling for his guards to follow suit as they embarked on their journey.

Sarah was submerged by the river to the extent that she ended up in a hospital on the outskirts. This urgency led Stefan to push the limits of speed, ensuring he got her to the destination on time.

While navigating the road, Stefan stole a glance at Sarah, his heart pained by her silent and emotionless state.

"Sarah, I... I'm sorry. This is all on me," he confessed with regret in his voice.

Stefan, grappling with words, extended a straightforward apology for the error that landed Sarah in this situation, recognizing it originated from his actions.

Sarah turned towards Stefan, her expression void of emotion. "When I exposed your lie, why didn't you disclose Ashley's role as your accomplice?"

'Ahh, failing to inform Sarah about her sister's deception was a colossal mistake,' Stefan reflected, acknowledging the magnitude of the error he had made.

"As you guided me towards understanding and I changed my ways, I had a conversation with Ashley, and she assured me of reform. I never grasped the extent of her obsession with Ronald's love, to the point where she would attempt to harm her own sister."

Stefan confessed truthfully. Despite his honesty, Sarah maintained her poker face, keeping her thoughts hidden from everyone.

"Hmm, then what's the reason for your search for me?" Sarah questioned.

"Upon realizing Ashley's deceit, I confronted her and demanded that she confess to the family about what she did to you. Instead, she craftily turned the situation around, revealing to my family that I'm not insane and returned for revenge, resulting in them disowning me," Stefan recounted with a sense of bitterness.

"Everyone reaps what they sow, don't worry," Sarah uttered in a pained tone. She turned away, gazing out of the window, leaning back and supporting her head against the seat.

Stefan shot her a penetrating look at her serene expression before returning his focus to the road ahead.

'Sarah seemed like a calm sea before an approaching storm. I couldn't fully decipher the meaning behind her words, but she's clearly engrossed in deep thoughts. My intuition tells me she's bottling up her anger, ready to unleash it when the time is right,' Stefan mused.

"What are you going to do now?" Stefan seized the moment to ask, only to be met with a blank stare from Sarah.

"Sarah," Stefan called out again, but she merely nodded her head in response.

'I am Sarah Cooper, and my life was tranquil until a few months ago when I encountered my half-sister, Ashley.'

'Ashley orchestrated numerous schemes behind my back, unbeknownst to me until recently. But now, I've brought to light the shadowy aspects of Ashley. She's had her way; now it's my turn.