Things Take Time

Violet 

The rest of May and the beginning of June

The next weeks go by slowly.

I'm with Finch all the time, which means I'm skipping school. But not really, my mother called school to let them know what was going on.

As for Finch. He is somewhat awake most of the time, but with every day that passes I get more afraid.

Whenever he's awake he'll mumble or groan sometimes. He started screaming and yelling inaudible things more often lately.

The screaming scares me the most. It sounds like a shriek of helplessness, as if Finch is scared and in pain.

Every time this happens, I feel like running away.

But I stay.

I just hold Finch's hands. Talk to him in a calm voice. Eventually – sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after half an hour – he calms down.

Doctors say that the longer he stays in this stage, the less chance there is on full recovery.

Brown has told me that after two to three months he won't be expecting any recovery anymore.

After two to three months this could possibly be Finch's existence for the rest of his life. I don't want that to happen, of course.

I make sure to take good care of Finch. I'm allowed to wash Finch once a week and the nurses have taught me how to change in clothes.

Sometimes, in the afternoon, Finch's mother and Kate come by and I have to leave until they're going back home again. I hate these moments of the day, because I want to be with Finch.

I call my parents once or twice a week to fill them in on all the details. And I call Kate every day to make sure that she knows how her younger brother is doing.

I just want Finch to wake up from this stage. I hope this will happen soon, because I feel like I'm going mad talking to his not-responding body.

And I'm sure Finch is going insane as well.