Chapter One | Only Human

"How could he possibly do it?!" I asked

She winced covering her wet face and pulled her fingers into a fist. I wish I could comfort her with some consoling words. But -as a rule- the only thing I did was fumbling, and digging deeper into my mind to find all those million easing words. But instead of those million words, I found a million empty eyes glaring at our side like we were some evil bitchin girls who had broken the most important constitutions of this hellish school.

"Hey... hey. Listen Kyrell?" I slightly touched her shivering shoulders, feeling the heat on my hand transfer to her body. "Let's get in. Somewhere, "I glanced at the crowd. "Safer. Everyone's staring." And they actually were, with disgusting smirks and nasty looks. It was the rule of our school to mob around plagued people who were in the worst of situations ever. I wonder if it was to spray salt on their wounds.

Please. I thought as if shooting the word to her mind, telepathically.

"They-" She cut me off before I could continue.

"I don't care about those freaks. Fuck them!" She almost screamed the last-two-totally-impolite-words. And I felt like evaporating by the heat and the blood that dashed my-blushed-face, or melting into the ground and being absorbed because of pure shame and embarrassment. I needed to disappear, constantly.

"Listen, self-confident kiddo, we're leaving right now!" I slinked grabbing her by arm wildly and pulled her up. To my wonder, she didn't protest. Only some tormenting sobs. "Let go of me you B-"

"Me what?" I raised an eyebrow, folding my arms slyly.

We'd reached the emptiest spot in the campus. She freed her arm off and hurled her poor-golden-bag onto the ground. She was acting too slipshod, much more than any cherished illusion I could imagine of. My other emotions were instantly showing up, instead of remaining angry and tied up eyebrows, immaculate shame, embarrassment and fear appeared to be stronger.

Better. I thought. I could barely control my anger if it rose up to some more limits. It changed me to another person, a seriously insane and nuts one. But I usually caught it before it drove me crazy, and split some cold water of patience on it to extinguish it.

Her face softened and she sat on a bench nervously.

He'd betrayed her.

I desperately reminded myself to calm down. Moreover, I wasn't really eager to lose the best and the only friend I had.

She was sort of always present during all the difficulties I'd faced. The only person among all these careless and pretentious people in the world who actually cared about me. Who laughed when I did. She fought when my rights were in danger. When the situations reached its top, she was always there with me for supporting, helping, and not letting my hopes die. She never complained about her own life, though she didn't even talk about it, much less complaining. But I knew her life was as rough as mine. No parents, only a dump carefree brother. I had plenty of reasons to help her through this mess. And help her come over that son of a bitch. (I was doubting my own feelings, now)

I knelt on my knees beside her. "Hey?" She shoved aside just as my eyes met hers, like what she did every time she was anxious. Tears frozen on her cheeks. "I know it's hard but it will be fine." I sighed and tried to make up some inspiring words she miserably needed. That's what she always did. But I was never a customer at shooting calming words.

"He didn't deserve you. A batch of shit like him is found everywhere. You'll find someone better." Sure, it was a great inspiring sentence. I'd pushed the phantom words out impetuously but immediately wished I hadn't, when the taste rose up in my throat. That was the consequences of lying. A bitter taste. I didn't know where it had come from but I tasted it every time I heard a lie. Luckily, there was no dizziness and covered up myself all over again and put more and better concentration on using the next inspiring words. I searched my mind and picked up the safest sentence I could use. But once it was spat out, I wished I could take it back.

"After all, you're only a human."