Chapter Eight | Flesh Mesh

Its sight made me want to squat on the ground and cry out of misery

Its sight made me want to squat on the ground and cry out of misery. Cry deep in my chest until my tears dry out and my heart combusts. Its sight made me want to meltdown and crawl away, hide somewhere no one would ever find me.

The creature had been strangely bent down as if gravity was attracting her upper part of body too much and it was resisting against it. Tattered clothes were attached to their bones like they were burned together a millennia ago. Besides, the cloth was also soaked with dark liquid and an iron-like-smell... blood.

As I concentrated, I spotted the reason its tattered cloth was stuck to her skin –actually no skin. It was as if there didn't exist any kind of skin, only flat fleshes. The ribs were broken outwardly and the boned were pointed at me the way its chest was bent.

So scrawny that it seemed to be only bones, occasionally some burned fleshes on the thicker parts.

The long messy dark hair was abandoning us to see its face, which I appreciated.

It hissed as it was crawling with its hands help toward us. I gasped as I realized I had stopped breathing, and my heart started knocking my chest hardly.

I tried to take a step to escape but Carson was unmovable, not breathing as well. Simply frozen. Eyes fixed on the messy creature as it got closer.

Unexpectedly Carson unfroze. He tried for a run. But as he moved for the second step the creature disappeared. I felt a moist and a rush of dry cold wind on my skin and all around me.

"Light!" I mumbled as silently as I could in Carson's ear.

Darn. I always forget that bloody useless piece of technology behind. I don't know why?! I t's just that I can never deal with technology.

A flash of hope turned on. Light. So warm and welcoming. But it seemed like the light was draining out, reducing.

Carson pointed out the light where the creature was. There was nothing excepted poured drops of blood on the cement. He followed the drops with the light reducing on each second, and the blood appeared to be coming exactly in our direction. It was rounding us in a neatly drawn circle. And then continuing its path behind, it ended up to the creature.

My legs started running in the opposite direction automatically. My brain wouldn't answer my call, it had stopped working. Carson was running behind me, too slow to catch up or escape the creature's claws and fangs.

I offered my left hand to pull him. To save him. Sweaty fingers laced through mine, embracing my finger between its. I pulled him; so heavy.

A shape appeared on my right. Dark hair and glowing eyes, sweating hard, clutching my hand.

Carson ran past me.

Who's hand was I holding?

The question ran through my ear and entered my brain. But it recurrent uselessly.

The fingers were cold and wet with a glue-like liquid. Long and thin, only bones. But a very tight grasp. I tried to set free. Useless. The body of the hand abruptly stopped.

I couldn't resist and dropped flat on my back. A shiver ran down my spine, to my feet, giving me a weird panic attack. I wanted to scream and shout for help. To close my eyes and feel nothing. But my voice wouldn't work and my body parts refused my quest.

The fingers were locked with mine. A clot of messy hair appeared on top of me. Nothing had meaning anymore. Only terror, horror, pure fear, despair, and the hollowness inside my stomach which started eating my whole body. Eating every bit of me. Every cell needed to scream and combust, to escape and hide.

A hissing voice echoed through my mind. Croaking meaningless sentences, like a poem. I wanted to pass out, to be eaten away by darkness. I squeezed my eyes, shutting its awful sight. Somehow I hoped to open my eyes back in my room, with a new hopeful and bright day and pretend all of it was nothing but a nightmare.

I felt my body ease from a heavyweight.

My soul must be flying somewhere in the heaven. I convinced myself before lifting my heavy eyelids. The creature fell. It was not over my body anymore but, something even worse awaited me there –Carson. My brain begged me to get back to the heavens rather than be here with this maniac. The land was still trembling beneath me, my eyelids felt too heavy over my eyes and I couldn't feel anything.

He had been trying to separate our fingers, I get a glimpse as my eyes snap open but fall back down, instantly. He even shouted something I didn't understand. Then pulled me somewhere in dark. He was limping, sweating, terror holding a steady position in his eyes. He had been shaking terribly, then shouting again.

Life was meaningless, everything was meaningless. I just watched in horror as Carson pulled me. As the walls passed. As we reached an open area. As he opened a door. Not thinking, not feeling, not smelling, not hearing, only watching the meaningless show.

Then again my whole body was filled with the hissing voice. Meaningless voice. I closed my eyes. Messy hair. Broken bones. Reaped clothes. Dark liquid. The hissing voice. Flesh.

 Flesh