Chapter Ten | The Lost Princess

I stared at my reflection in the mirror

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. What had fate done to the little girl?

No family. Orphanage house. Alone. Blamed. Adopted. Blamed. No family. Alone. That was the entire summary of my miserable life. In the end, alone. I had lost a family twice that you couldn't even figure out, who am I? The long blond hair, deep green eyes, broken heart, where have they come from? Whom do they belong to? The longer I looked at this face, the stranger it became to me. In the end, like always, I was left with one thought: Who am I?

I unlocked my eyes from my face and reached for the faucet. My fingers strangled around the cold metal pulled it up. Frozen water popped out as if breaking from a prison. Freedom. Something I didn't have. I had prisoned myself in my mind. For a moment, I kept my palm under the soft water and felt its flow. Still freedom.

"Amaya!" A powerful tap on my shoulder broke me from my thoughts.

The problem with school restrooms: No privacy.

I promptly closed the faucet and glanced up in the mirror, to the person behind me.

Kyrell.

I felt my heartbeat stop for a second. The entire scene from last night replayed in my mind.

Party. Street. Shadow. Blood and Kyrell. It was last night. She wasn't herself. I thought about what I could remember.

I turned to look into her eyes. The same eyes, just softer this time. My tongue twisted many times before I could manage to blurt out some words, "Hey, you okay?" I had to pause for a moment and imagine how weird I must be looking. And about how that question was meant for me who is shivering to death, not her –Kyrell bit her lower lip as her eyes lowered in sympathy. "Are you okay?"

There we go.

"I was just a bit stressed out about," I was stressed about her. "The math test."

Math test? Seriously? I asked myself in disgust.

She chuckled, dropping her head into her hands. "No, you aren't okay." She looked up at me. "Math test is next month."

I had to drop my gaze in embarrassment. I always knew my memory sucked but this much? That I turned myself into a nerd?

Kyrell wrapped her arm around my shoulders, still chuckling. "Let's get a hot chocolate."

Math test. Huh? I kept asking myself.

I stared down as a boy with chocolate brown hair, not more than seventeen, placed two cups of warm, milky, and creamy hot chocolate before us. Perhaps, part-time job.

"Would you like anything else?" He straightened up and I realized what broad shoulders he had.

"Yeah, there's one thing," Kyrell said with a flirty smile.

No, please. No flirting. I squeezed my eyes, grabbing my cup.

"What's that painting about?" She pointed at the wall behind me.

A black shadow fading into a human figure.

I felt my breath stop at the painting. Strange footages, more like memories, played in my mind. Darkness. A girl. Blood. Small. Darkness. Just some uneven figures and I saw no more. Kyrell's laugh brought me back to life.

"Weird question?" She asked the chocolate-hair-boy who still stood there.

He smiled. "Well. I'm not an expert but here's what I think," He glanced at the painting. "It's creepy."

Kyrell chuckled gain.

Her laugh is the weapon.

"I was just kidding." She snapped. "Thanks for the hot chocolate." She picked up the cup in the air.

Saying no more, he smiled and went. I leaned into Kyrell who was heartily looking at the boy with chocolate hair. "Would you please stop flirting with every hot guy?" I whispered, getting her attention.

"I can't." She said still gazing in that direction.

"You're weird." I sipped from my hot chocolate. The sweet taste spread in my mouth and I realized how long it had been since I last tasted sweetness. In a world full of lies, I never got the time to taste sweetness.

"Hey, females!" Carson's damned voice rejoiced in my ears and without any hesitation, he took the seat next to me. Dean followed, sitting on the other side.

Un-invited guests.

For a moment, I had to wonder about how ordinary Carson acted. He was smiling as if nothing ever happened. Everybody acted ordinary. Carson, Kyrell and Dean who was always speechless.

"Prince Charming decided to join us?" Kyrell teased Carson in a flirty manner, again. She must have been excited to find the popular-boys joining us. Leave the fact alone that she was about murder him last night.

"Prince Charming needed to warn before twelve." He smiled and glanced at me. I saw Dean smirking from the corner of my eye. My cheeks burnt hot-red and I cleared my throat as if it would hide my embarrassment. Entirely ignoring his presence, I sipped from my cup.

"Before?" Kyrell asked with the same smirk.

"Before the lost princess turns to her real self." He looked at me. This time not with the same laughing eyes, but something deeper. It took me a moment to search through his eyes for the code he was giving me. He was warning me. It was a coded message. He was talking about the princess who became herself at twelve. The lost princess that transformed at twelve.

The lost princess was Kyrell.