Chapter 8 - The have done and the not

I feel like sponge-bob trying to take a driving test, FLOOR IT. But I got to keep cool and maintain this level of plot development if I want to finish this.

"What old man? Stiles, you can tell me what really happened," she insisted. The cold bleachers never seemed this dry before now.

"I bought some lovely earrings, they had some sort of magic to them. I wished Derek could feel how I feel. That's when we switched bodies."

"You did what?" Lydia shook her head, the level of shock on her face was priceless, "so this morning was you?"

"Very perceptive. We have spent an entire day in each other's bodies, Derek knows me better than anyone in the entire school." She was still stuck on the body swap.

"You sat next to Scott and you didn't say anything? Wait, did Derek out you? Hold on-"

"Can you calm down? You're making me jumpy," I jittered. Clearly Lydia was having a me moment, "Yes, Derek outed me. I hypothesize that he outed me to force me to go to prom with him. I bet he's listening to me now," I eyed the game, watching Derek flip over opposing players, "and he should know that I am still upset with him and he should be very sorry. And that I don't have anything to wear to prom even if I wanted to go."

Suddenly, it's like the world tilted for a moment in Lydia's eyes. She locked her gaze with my own, "I can take you shopping. I'm sure Derek would have loved to, but since both of our men have decidedly been bad, we'll just have to get sexy and have them crawl back to us."

"I like the way you think, I hope Scott and his entourage don't come knocking. Though I would love to meet Michelle one of these days. She seemed awfully nice," Stiles leaned over and glanced at the group.

"Allison won't do that to you, in fact, Scott is on a tight leash with her right now too. Danny has told me Scott was caught by her dad. Seems the whole brood is in the dog house."

"I didn't know you had it in you to make a dog joke, Lydia... I think this will turn out great," we mirrored each other with our smirks. The game to me was unremarkably boring, Lydia seemed too zoned out to actually talk about Boyd but wanted to continue. A surprising subject, but she eventually had plenty to say.

"So, here he was in the center of the rink. I thought I was a good skater, but somehow Boyd really impressed me," she nodded towards the field, "oh, done already. We need to leave before the boys come try and find us, especially me." She nabbed my arm again and dragged me over to the lot, "I'll meet at your house in an hour."

"Sounds like I don't have a choice."

"Nope," and so I was off in the parking lot hopping into my jeep when Derek came bursting out of the side door.

"Stiles. You know you can't run from me..." there was a silent understanding that of course I wasn't running away from him, so I gave him the bird and laughed while I started my car. I got the feeling Derek was going to follow me home. Or maybe even follow Lydia and I shopping, which I suspected he was around when she finally came and picked me up. She gave me a smirk when I entered the car with my bag.

"I think I know exactly the place to get you something awesome."

"Do you think I should still go with Derek?"

"Are you actually gay?" She had asked almost instantly back to me in reply. The question had taken me suddenly that I didn't know what to say at first.

"Yes."

"Then obviously you are going to go with Derek."

"I don't understand." She huffed back at me.

"You are so lucky you have me now to help spell these things out for you," she turned a bit more sharply, "Derek is hot, you can really solidify that you are gay and once you do-"

"You think Scott will what Lydia? I know you think I didn't know before why Scott left. He thought I was lame and creepy. Yet here I am. I don't need Scott."

"There's something you should know Stiles. Scott is a werewolf too." She seemed to be thinking of something.

"Uh okay. That is news. But what makes you think that changes anything? Like, I am happy you told me, but I don't want to be friends with Scott."

"Do you want to be friends with me?" She said, which made me really question myself. Just for a moment, I didn't know how to respond right away again.

"I think I do, I have thought you were so cool since forever." Is what I finally landed on.

"But you know that I hang out with all these supernatural creatures and hunters." Lydia parked her car, "I think it's better that, now that you know, you have to know the context around it as well. Maybe you and Derek need each other, Derek likes you, but I think it could get dangerous for you without him." I let that sit in the air while we got out of her Prius. Hunters existed, which I think she was the most worried about me knowing.

Sorry for such a lam update. I know I am going quick, but this story is just fast paced like that. Maybe it's better if books were always fast paced. Or maybe the slow portions should exemplify the needed moments.