4- Resistance Scum

TEEVIN

He had to be joking. He was joking, right?
John Seed didn't care if I was saved or not, that's not who I was told he was. I was told he was the most sadistic out of the family. A man who was abused by his father and adoptive parents growing up to the point he couldn't be redeemed. All he cared about was people saying his favorite word, 'Yes' and confessing their sins.

But, that's not who I saw in front of me. I saw a man who forgave and was loving towards me.

Or maybe that's just what he wanted me to see. That was part of their brainwashing technique wasn't it?

John has a reputation for being able to get anything he wanted, he was so skilled in manipulating—he had people in the legal department on his side.

I had to get out of here and away from him.

"Teevin," He slid off the bed and went over to stand at the foot, my eyes followed his form.

"You've been brought into my life and me into yours for a reason neither one of us understand yet. But in time, I know all will be revealed by God himself." He smiled with a wink before turning away.

There it is. That preacher voice he's so used to conveying. It wasn't him. Who he really was.

His true self was the man who kissed me back and desperately fought to save my life. The man who so desperately wanted to be loved because he had never experienced it growing up. A broken man who was still clinging onto that child innocence inside. That was his true self.

============================

"Is she here?"

I heard a feminine voice enter the log home after what felt like hours, it echoed through the vastness of the room giving me chills.

I knew that voice and instantly wanted to crawl out of here away from it.

Faith. The woman responsible for brainwashing the people of Hope County with that drug.

Bliss.

"You're not going near her. This is my God-given task." John's voice was stern, and off-putting. I never heard him be rude to one of his own before. But then again, I never really heard him say anything other than what was broadcasted on TV.

"She needs to be given Bliss—" Faith snaps and a moment later, a loud startling crash of what sounded like a table being toppled over.

"You're not using your drugs on MY PEOPLE—"

"It will help her be more...open to atonement." Faith giggled and I cringed. I hated her more than the others combined.

"LEAVE!" John yells murderously and the sound sends my stomach flipping.

Faith scoffs, before saying she'd be back to try again, followed by the sound of a door slamming shut.

Seconds later, John rushes back over to me, carrying a mug of something steaming hot. I watch as he sets it down on the bedside table and I begin to wonder why I'm on a bed in the open, instead of a bedroom.

"I brought you chicken broth. I was always taught it did wonders when someone was feeling under the weather." John said, rubbing the back of his neck.

I wanted to ask about Faith and why she was here, but I was afraid he'd snap at the mention of it.

"Faith came by."

I stilled as my eyes flash up to him. He chuckled darkly, and I could see he was still upset about it. "She wants to take you from me. Send you away to Bliss."