9- Remington & Tears

TEEVIN

"Angel, I'm afraid we don't need your helpin hand anymore. We just got a call that our son is going to come stay with us for a little bit, and we'll, there's just not enough room."

I'm too shocked for words. How could this happen? I study her, she looked frightened, her face had gone pale as if she just heard grave news.

"Jinny? You alright—" I reach out to her, but she backs away like she's afraid of me.

"Look, I need you to leave right away. We'll give you some money and you can take that old chevy out back in the barn there, but you can't stay sweetie. It's not safe for us." She thrusts a bundle of twenties and a few hundred dollar bills.

I stare at it feeling empty inside.

"It ain't much, but it'll getcha to Hope County."

My eyes snap to hers in alarm,"But that's where I've been trying to get away from! He's after me!"

Jinny gives me a sympathetic smile and hugs me tight,"He won't hurt you darlin'...he will only hurt those who are keeping you from him. You can't run away from your problems—they'll catch up to ya one day or another. That's how the Lord works y'know."

Was this...God showing me the way?

After packing my duffel bag of the little clothes I had, I load the remming-ton 870 shot gun and slide the strap over my back before grabbing my 1911 and slide it into its holster on my hip.

"You'll be alright, Angel. Don't let him walk over you, but the best relationships are the ones that work through their problems together. That's how Howard and I stayed married over thirty-five years. Fight through it no matter what."

Howard kisses her forehead and holds her close as I load the red Chevy truck with the shot gun and my duffel bag.

"I'm scared. We haven't seen each other in almost a year." I rub my hands together trying to get warm. God I was so nervous, the anxiety overwhelmed me.

"Everyone's a little scared, but it's okay, that's how life is supposed to be." Howard chuckled and gave me a hard pat on the back. Just like my father used to do.

"I'll come visit once things settle down. Stay safe and warm. I love y'all. Thanks for everything." I wave, fighting the tears threatening to spill over. Without looking back, I pull out onto the lonely road towards the only place I could go.
It was a good hour and a half drive to Hope County and I was dreading every minute.

=========================

It had just turned noon when I arrived. Everything seemed familiar, but at the same time different.

I had no idea how to get to John's ranch and I was terrified to just roll up unannounced. I flipped the radio on and immediately hear his voice.

"—-I hope your heart is as glad as mine, oh I welcome you. Can you see the glory of the project? Can you feel God himself squeezing your heart, pumping your blood from your veins, hearing you to do this good work?" He pauses to let people cheer.

"I can! Oh, I can, everyday!"

I begin sobbing and switch off the radio as I pull in front of the church and wipe my eyes before redoing my eye makeup. I didn't want to look like a mess when I saw him again. If he's preaching, maybe he's at the church. They always did live broadcasts—usually.

What if he doesn't want me anymore..?

"State your business!" I jerk my head to see a Peggie holding a rifle.

"I'm here to see John."

"John's busy—"

"I'm here for atonement!" I snapped and kicked the truck door open before slamming it shut. I don't have time to play their games. I'm here for John and only John.

"Stop! Grab her!"

I dodge their advances and scream for John.

"JOHN! ITS ME! IM HERE!!!"

I crash through the doors and stumble to the ground, sliding across the wood after a Peggie smacked his gun into my back. The room goes dead silent and John lowers his hands to see what the commotion was about.

My arms shake as I lift myself up, but a foot steps harshly on my back and smacks my face, preventing me from doing so.

"STOP!" John dropped the book he was holding and rushed forward, dropping on all fours in front of me. He gently lifts my chin to look up at him, and there he was. Those familiar blue eyes that haunted my dreams for so many months.. were finally in front of me.

"My Angel..." John whispered, his voice cracking at the end.

I shift back into a sitting position so I can get a good look at him, he's just staring at me. As if he can't believe I'm really here right now—even I couldn't.

"Have you.. really come back to me...?" John's voice is so broken, I crumble into a mess of sobs and just nod over and over again to him. He breaks down and throws his arms around me, pulling me tightly into his chest. I had planned on being so strong, but all that went out the window the moment I saw him.

He takes the ends of my blonde hair and lets it slide through his fingers,"You look gorgeous no matter the color you choose. But you know, I would have recognized you no matter the changes."