Prologue

Vanessa POV

I was sent out on a mission to investigate reports of mages going rogue and vanishing. At first I thought that they were all just killing each other off, so I would just spend all my time drinking, at least that was until I found the body of a dead child lying on the street, "Great now I'll actually have to get involved. Thanks a lot kid" I said as I walked past him, "Your welcome he said as he rushed at me, suddenly a bolt of lightning flew past my head and hit him in the the head, "HA! DID YOU SEE THAT (Y/N)! GOT EM' RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES!" An obnoxious man said as he forced a small child to watch him murder another child, "That brother of yours wasn't useless after all, and don't get me started on that adorable sister of yours!" He said as he put his hand on the boy's head, "Too bad I cant trust ya, if I could then I wouldn't have to kill you." He said, "Are you ok sweetie?" I asked as I unraveled the string around the child, he just gave me a blank stair as a lightning bolt shot out of the man's hand that was on the boy's head, "Hey you why did ya protect that kid?" The man said, "The real question isn't why I protected him...it's what am I going to make you do." I said as I opened my grimoire, "Thread magic... Dancing Doll!" I said as threads wrapped around his wrists and ankles. I picked up the child and walked away while I made the man walk off the roof and fall into my Arresting Dark Weave.

"So (y/n) where are your parents?" I asked as I finished burring his brother, (y/n) just pointed at a mass grave of unburied corpses, but the on that stood out the most was the mangled corpse of a little girl who couldn't have been more than ten years old. Her clothes were torn and tattered, she had terrible burns all over her exposed torso, and it was painfully clear that she had not only been murdered, but she was also raped. "Who could do something like this?!" I asked in shock, "Bad man." (y/n) said as he pointed at the man caught in my Arresting Dark Weave, "Sweetie you don't need to see that!" I said as I blocked his view of the corpses, "And now you'll reap what you've sown you bastard." I said softly as I snapped the man's neck with my threads before dispelling my spells, "Is there anyone who could take you in sweetie?" I asked, I could feel him shake his head, "Well then would you like to come with me? What I'm offering can't replace your lost loved ones, but I promise that it's a place for people like you and I...people who have nowhere else to go." I said, suddenly I heard the sounds of soft snoring, "Just take him hun." An old woman said, "He ain't got no family left here so he's as good as dead now. All he had left was his twelve year old brother and his nine year old sister, but their gone now, so I'll say it again just take him." She said as she left. "Well then (y/n) welcome to the Black Bulls." I said as I carried him away. 'It's a bit unusual for a three year old to join the magic knights, but I'm confident he'll do just fine.' I thought.