nineteen • love and lies

Chris's POV

"How's your mom?" Raven asked.

"She's good," I said. "We can go visit her when we get home, if you want."

A small smile formed on her face. "Only if you want too."

We continued walking down the sidewalk, looking for a restaurant. The California air was warm, and Raven and I both had our large, black sunglasses on.

"How long have you been in love with me?"

I was quiet for a moment, and then I said, "for awhile. Since junior year, actually."

"Oh. Me too," she replied.

"If only we would've told each other then," I joked. "Remeber when Mandy Locks asked if you were dating me in a round of truth or dare and you said no, and then everyone got mad?"

She laughed. "You remember that? I lied through the whole game! She kept asking, "do you like Chris?" "Do you wanna hook up with Chris?" I was so annoyed!"

"Me too," I said, laughing with her. "Or when Brandon Pennock came up to us and asked why we never kissed? We weren't even dating!"

We were laughing so hard by now that people probably thought we were maniacs. Raven grabbed onto my arm to steady herself, still giggling.

"Do you remember when Nick walked in on us after we ... ya know, and he screamed and ran outside?" Her laughter bubbled up again, along with mine.

"He covered his eyes and ran into the door on the way out!"

"We had so many adventures together," she said, her grey eyes looking off into the distance as if she was remembering something from her past life.

"I know. Those were the good old days. You, me, Ange, Frank and Kyle."

"What ever happened to them?" She asks.

I shrugged. "We talk about once a year, just to check in. Last I heard, they were doing good and making lives for themselves."

"Chris, why did we lie so much back then?" She questioned quietly. Tiredly. Did I tire her? Bore her?

"What do you mean?"

"We would always deny it to everybody - and ourselves - that we were in love. We lied so much. People said we were soulmates, Chris. What would've happened if we would have realized it sooner?"

"We wouldn't be where we are now. What would've been the chances of us having a lasting relationship? Things happen for a reason. Hopefully, we can make good of those things. For example, us seeing each other again."

She seemingly thought over those words we shared and then nodded. "I agree."

I grinned. "Come on, let's eat here."

•    •    •    •    •

Raven's POV

Talking with Chris made me realize a lot. As I'm sitting here in my bunk, alone, I know that he's right. We met again for a reason and maybe we are meant to be.

I hear a soft knocking on the side of my bunk. I pull the curtain back and see Ange. Her nods his head towards the kitchen. "We ordered pizza, why don't you come out?"

"Um, I think I might just take a nap or something," I muttered.

"You're thinking about something. You're thinking about it too hard. What's wrong?"

I exhaled and stretched my arms above my head. "Nothing, just thinking about what Chris and I talked about."

"Which was?"

"Memories and the truth."

Angelo gave me a small smile. "Well, Chris thinks you're mad at him, so come on."

I slid out of my bunk and followed Angelo into the living room. I grabbed a piece of pizza on the way and sat right down onto Chris lap.

"Oh, hey," he said, placing his head on my shoulder and looking up at me.

I looked back down at him. "Hey."

We snuggled into each other to get more comfortable and the guys all cooed, "aww, that's so sweet!"

And it really was sweet. I never realized how much a simple act of love or even kindness could affect a person so much. I smiled and closed my eyes, relishing the moment. I felt a small kiss on the side of my forehead and my smile got even bigger.

I didn't know where to end this so it's kinda rocky.
     - salem ♡

Edited and revised
701 words