Chapter 1: Arthur's Problems

Arthur:

I didn't need a woman. Okay, no, that's not entirely true. I wanted one definitely. I just never felt the need. Being the Elder of the Eastern Branch of the Brotherhood of Steel never left me with time to myself. So I suppose it's no surprise that I'm still a virgin. I mean, I definitely knew what to do. I've read plenty of pre-war magazines about that stuff and I knew what women looked like naked but I'd be damned if I claimed to know this from experience. The only time I got even remotely close to being with a woman, my mind completely blanked and I told her to leave. I was now organizing my files without really thinking about them because I've rearranged them again today for the hundredth time. My entire life I believed I didn't need a woman, regardless of what the Citadel tried to press into my brain. I shoved my papers into the cabinet a little more harshly than intended. That is, I thought I wouldn't ever need a woman in my life. But ever since the day that hazel eyed vault dweller stepped into the flight deck, I've felt more my age than ever before. Commanding an army of soldiers ages you. And this girl made me feel like a child. A complete and utter child. I couldn't even look at her when she came to report her missions to me. My back was always turned to her.

"Elder"

Oh damn, damn, calm down. Play it cool.

That voice I could recognize in a heartbeat. I cleared my throat, hoping to sound like myself, which always failed when she was present.

"Yes Knight?"

"I just came to report that the mission Proctor Quinlan assigned me was a success. Paladin Danse stayed behind to secure the package."

Stay cool. Stay... stay COOL Arthur dammit.

"Great work knight."

I couldn't say anything else. I tried forming the words in my head when she cut off my train of thought.

"A question, if I may sir?"

Honestly didn't see that coming.

"Yes knight?"

Apparently those were the only 2 words I knew how to say.

"A...personal question, if I may, sir?"

It didn't feel right, but I kept my back to her.

"What seems to be on your mind, knight?"

"I was just...wondering..."

She seemed to be looking for the right words.

"Why don't you ever look me in the eye?"

I froze. What was I supposed to say?

Because I find you attractive and you make me nervous?

Because your eyes make me feel like a typical helpless teenager?

Because I get lost in those dark honey and forest green hazel eyes of yours and don't want to be found?

Because I'm afraid that love at first sight is real?

I let out a shaky breath hoping she could hear it.

"Dismissed knight"

Silence followed. Finally...

"Yes sir, Elder"

I turned around after her back was turned to me. I wanted to reach out or tell her to come back to me. To give her a warm hug and let her know it's not her that it's my stupidly horny self. Instead I adjusted my battle coat at the growing tent in my jumpsuit at the sight of that marvelous ass walking away from my reach.

Jesus Arthur, can't get any more immature than that, can you?