Chapter 5: Dinner Date

Arthur:

Vanilla Cupcakes. That's what Mer's lips tasted like. I didn't know that. She had to tell me later when I asked her why she tasted so addictive. A cake with a similar flavor to fancy lads snack cakes. Only those cakes weren't made in a factory by machines. They were made usually by people in their homes for a special occasion like a birthday.

She told me all about pre war life. She went into great depth talking about sports. Football and basketball, she was particularly fond of. How instead of playing it, a lot of people watched other people play it while eating junk food. The way her eyes lit up was heart warming.

But instead of looking into her warm hazel eyes, I was looking into the stone cold brown eyes of Proctor Teagan.

"Elder Maxson sir, we should really..."

"Proctor I've made my orders clear. Recruit who you can. We need at least 4 scouts out in the Commonwealth searching for steel. Have them bring at least 100kg. Proctor Ingram won't be able to do the proper repairs without..."

A pair of hazel eyes and brown braids peeked at me from behind the door of my quarters.

"them. Knight Storm, I'll be with you in a moment."

She nodded and went to stand in the hall. I looked at Teagan again.

"I expect you to file this report to Proctor Quinlan as soon as you find the soldiers willing to go."

"Yes sir, Elder. Ad Victorium."

"Ad Victorium."

Teagan power walked out of my quarters. Esmeralda peeked out at me again.

"Please enter Knight. Close the door."

She did as she was told silently and slowing not realizing I walked up behind her while her back was to me. The moment she turned around I stooped down to kiss her. She smiled against my lips and wrapped her arms around me but I pulled away.

"Are you supposed to be out of bed?"

"Cade let me go as long as I didn't sneak off on a mission. He said he'd tell all the proctors not to give me any work either."

"Good. So you'll stay on the Prydwen and keep me company?"

"Well you do own me a dinner date."

I pressed my forehead against hers.

"Tonight then?"

"Don't you need to work? I don't want to be a distraction to you and get all the proctors mad at me."

"They don't know about us, they won't blame you."

"Yeah, I picked up on that. I like that. Makes what we have that much more special."

Thank God she felt that way. I wasn't sure if she'd be angry that I wanted to maintain our privacy.

"You're perfect. And if I work extra hard, I'll be able to finish my work. It's relatively the same as usual. See you tonight, say, 9:00?"

"Sounds good, now get to work."

She tried pulling away.

"Ah ah ah."

I puffed out my lips at her. She gave me that smug-ass smile and placed her lips on mine. I still got the butterflies in my stomach like when she gave me the first time we kissed. She had me hooked. I tried giving her a little tongue when she pulled away giggling.

"No, dammit! Get to work. You can try that later, now hurry up!"

She skipped, skipped, out of my quarters.